Author Topic: Fuel Filter on C13  (Read 3261 times)

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
Fuel Filter on C13
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Love the Forum:  I have a 2006 Beaver Marquis. Having trouble getting Fuel Filter loose.  Have tried all the wrenches including strap and cannot break it loose.  was wondering if i heated top of filter witha heat gun if it would help. Thanks for any help.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel Filter on C13
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »
Bobby,
I doubt that a heat gun will loosen the filter, but it should not cause a problem to try as long as you understand that you are dealing with a flammable liquid, and an external heat source can be very dangerous.

If I need to change a stuck filter (one that was installed without adequate seal lubrication), I just use a chain wrench (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VMUFG6/ref=psdc_553420_t1_B000TDGHGY) or a set of 480 Channellock pliers (https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-480-2-Inch-Capacity-20-Inch/dp/B00004SBCX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532188420&sr=8-2&keywords=480+channellock+pliers) on the top edge of the filter to prevent crushing the filter. The tool choice depends on access. You can also drive a long screwdriver through the filter and use it for leverage, but that can cause a lot of fuel spillage, so be very careful.

Gerald

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Bobby, we ran into this not very long ago same problem. Everything is on the past post on
forum or Think on Ask Dave. First if you can cut filter can off about 2-3 inches from top of filter where it screws on filter base. Than take a little gas torch and heat applied from bottom of the
Filter inside . What you are doing is heating metal ring on fuel filter direct from inside and the rubber
Gasket will release and turn off filter . Note: take extra care and have a water hose in case of
Little wants to burn or fire extinguisher present. This would not be a flash fire and unlikely if needed.
Installing new fuel put a little grease on rubber seal or engine oil. Do not apply heat to filter
Housing itself.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Bobby Kirk

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:38:13 AM »
Thanks Gerald and Dave.  Will keep at it....

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
In the thread Dave refers to I related a similar situation on my old Sea Ray cabin cruiser 40 years ago. My brotherinlaw Bob was the Northwest service rep for Oldsmobile and knew his stuff.  Like Gerald alluded to, Bob had me hammer a large screwdriver through the middle of the filter.  Seemed a little extreme to an over cautious, mechanically green young fellow like me, but with that much leverage/torque darned if that filter didn’t finally break loose.  As noted however, it was messy, so have lots of cleanup materials ready.

I used a large, 12” flatblade screwdriver.  It’s four sided shank probably got a better grab than a round shanked Phillips would.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:02:24 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat