Author Topic: toilet seal  (Read 7865 times)

Roger Baldwin

toilet seal
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:09:53 AM »
Our toilet is no longer holding water.  Is it possible to change the rubber seal ourselves or is this a problem left to a professional?

Gerald Farris

Re: toilet seal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:57:22 AM »
If you have the standard Sealand gravity flush toilet, it is a fairly easy repair by the average handyman. I have replaced the seal on my 2000 and my '93 before that. The new seal will come with easy to follow instructions.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
Before replacing the seal clean the old one. We open and wipe arround the bottom with TP and an old toothbrush. It has worked for us for the 10 years we have owned our 97 Patriot with a Sealand Toilet and the 6 years we had the Baronett.

Be careful not to drop the tooth brush. We tape a string to it with duck tape because I am clumsey and we just throw the brush away. Usually TP wipe when cleaning is enough. Only reason to replace is if it is torn.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
I agree with Richard on cleaning the seal. We clean the seal approx. monthly, however as a fulltimer I have only been able to get 7-8 years on the seal before the teflon coating on the rubber seal wears to the extent that it will no longer hold water in the bowl. So if you have not been cleaning it, clean the seal completely and carefully first, but replacement may ultimately be needed.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
I agree with Gerald that as afull timer he is getting max live out of his seal. We as part timers can expect a longer life span. The cleaning and not being harsh about it is the most important consideration.

David Fischer

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
As an original owner of a 97 Marquis and a full timer for all those years, I have had to work on the toilet many times and that seal replacement is easy.  However, I recommend first taking the bowl off and taking the seals off and cleaning them first and then resetting the bowl.  Make sure you remember the order in which you take them off, and you put them back on the same way.  This may work.  Good luck.
David