Author Topic: Bedroom fan addition?  (Read 3458 times)

Steve Funk

Bedroom fan addition?
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
Has anyone added a bedroom fan to their coach?  Any thoughts on how difficult it would be and if it is doable.  We have an 06 Monterey with 2 bedroom slides.  Certainly have to be able to open and close those without interference with optional fan.  AC is too noisy and a fan should be quiet and help at night.

Just thinking, thanks for your thoughts.

Mike Shumack

Re: Bedroom fan addition?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »
There has been discussion on this topic on the irv2.com forum this week. Some are adding fans (I'm considering one for the bedroom too). I think the easiest way is to go with a 12V fan and tie into existing 12V source in or near ceiling (something hot all the time) and use a remote to turn on/off.
The difficulty, I think, is knowing what/where is a solid place to screw into for the fan mounting. There's not a lot of choice on location since it needs to be somewhat centered in the room.

Here's the model I'm looking at https://www.rvandmarine.com/product/12v-remote-ceiling-fan-rv-motorhome-42/

Currently we just put a little 120V portable fan on the window sill across from bed - and that works pretty well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:25:27 PM by Mike Shumack »

Guy Pryor

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
Do a search on this forum for ceiling fan lots of good info

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
Jim Nichols managed it on a coach similar to yours:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2442.msg18076.html#msg18076

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Funk

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
Perfect, I will get ahold of Jim and see how he likes it and if he would do it again.  My only concern is supporting a fan to the ceiling. 

Thanks everyone for your input.

Steve

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
Steve, I've been contemplating the same install.  I have the same concern.  I've been casually looking for some type of anchor that would stick in that insulation, Styrofoam, in the ceiling.  Most anchors will just turn, in my experience, without holding when trying to install.  I just ran into the same issue under the motorhome when I had to reattach my Hydrohot exhaust pipe.  Let us know how it turns out.  Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
For reference, here are typical instructions:  https://www.campingworld.com/images/includes/productSpecs/Ceiling%20Fan%2012V%20with%20Remote.pdf

The coach body frame is typically aluminum, but aren’t some 2x2 wood crossmembers used here and there that could be used as mounting studs for the ceiling bracket?  Like the ceiling ductwork channel frame?  3 screws in a straight line.  Or drill pilot holes in the aluminum and use 3 self-tapping machine screws?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert