Author Topic: Hydraulic Leveling system  (Read 2104 times)

Walter Parr

Hydraulic Leveling system
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
They couple I bought the 93 Grand Marquis 40' from said one of the hydraulic jacks had a leak, and since they had the air leveling system, didn't need it. So they drained the hydraulic fluid out.
What would be the best way to put it back into operation and bleed the lines?
What would be the best fluid & amount needed?

This is our retirement dream coach, and I want to be able to maintain/service myself as much as I. 

Mike Shumack

Re: Hydraulic Leveling system
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Walter, me again.
There is some info on the hyd jack system (for your coach) at the Coach Assist link. I don't know for sure what oil your hydraulic system takes (mine is Dexron III auto-transmission fluid). Do you have the Owner's Manual for this coach?

I don't know why a shop would go to the trouble of draining the hyd fluid unless there was a big leak - so be ready to deal with that leak issue if you decide to fill the hyd tank.

BTW, is your coach built on the Gillig chassis? That is a very good chassis.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hydraulic Leveling system
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
Walter,
If your air leveling works, consider using it rather than jacks as it's easier on the chassis (less chance of popping the windshield) and more convenient. Jacks can be handy for roadside tire changes, etc. but other than that IMHO they can be problematic (fluid leaks, jack creeping down during travel, accidental bending of a jack that prevents it from retracting, etc).
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp