Author Topic: Coach monitor panel strange happenings  (Read 2465 times)

Jason Worman

Coach monitor panel strange happenings
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
Hello,

So we have 1991 Contessa and have enjoyed and appreciated all the help we have received on the forum. I noticed that when I switch off the coach monitor panel at night that when I get up in the morning it shows that the batteries are needing recharged. When I go to bed they are reading 12.9 volts and when I get up the voltage is around 10.5. Any thoughts on this. We are plugged into 50 amp power all the time. During the day the battery monitor is green. The voltage will steadily increase during the day back to 12.9. I think we need to just get some new house batteries. The inverter charger is working well, it's a Freedom 458. Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Coach monitor panel strange happenings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »
Jason,
Are you sure you are only turning off the monitor panel and not the charger too? Sure sounds like the charger isn't on at night. Even if the charger is off, the battery voltage shouldn't drop that much when on shore power. Either you have something draining the batteries or, more likely, batteries that are failing. I'd have them checked or test for bad cells with a hydrometer.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
I had Les Schwab out and batteries tested. Batteries are shot. Quoted me 586.00 for four new 24 Series batteries. Is this a good price? Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »
Less than $90 @ at Costco, uninstalled of course.  Take a picture of the existing wire configuration, pull the fuse or cover the roof panel on any solar panel, and turn off battery bay mains and unplug from 110v.  Remove the house batteries and take to Costco.  They will give you your $15@ core credit right then rather than you having to make a trip back later.

Call first because some Costco stores don’t keep the “golf cart” 6 volt wet cells in stock, and must order in from the warehouse or clue you to a store that has them.

Still sounds strange they charge during the day and not overnight... I have to reiterate Steve’s thought.  Yours is a much different coach than ours, but I don’t turn my panel off.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:48:06 PM »
Jason,
Costco, here is AZ sells Interstates for about $90 each (when I bought 2 last year). If you install them, follow Joel's advice. Be sure to clean battery cable connectors and coat with a battery terminal protectant, available at Wal Mart and auto parts stores. Before attaching the cables that go to the coach, use your meter and with the red lead on the positive battery post and black lead on the negative battery post, verify you have a +12V reading.

I would still verify that the charger is working when you turn off the display, After turning it off, wait 5-10 minutes and check the house battery voltage with a meter. If the charger is on, voltage will be close to 13V. If off, voltage will be 12-12.4 or so.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:25:13 PM »
If you are in Reedsport, your closest Costco is probably Eugene or Roseburg (assuming you are a member)... all the more reason to take the old batteries with you and make one trip, as well as call ahead to make sure they’re in stock.  I believe the Golf Cart one you want is Costco Item 850284, but double-check that when you call.  Not sure if your group 24 is their group GC2, but probably.  As long as we’re talking 6 volt wet cells and not 12 volt batteries.

On YouTube look up DoItYourselfDad and “Costco 6V Golf Cart Batteries”.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 11:30:10 PM »
Jason,
A 24 series battery is a 12 volt automotive cranking battery, and it should never be used for house battery service. Only us 6 volt golf cart batteries that are wired in series in pairs to give you 12 volts. In the case of having 4 batteries, you will have two pairs of batteries wired in series, and they will be wired in parallel to produce a 12 volt circuit. If you have trouble understanding my explanition, there are many battery circuit diagrams online.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  Not sure why Les Schwab would’ve recommended chassis batteries, even if a previous owner had erroneously installed them on the house side... no wonder they are shot if they are not deep cycles.

Jason will not be able to use a photo as a guide as I’d recommended, since 6V one’s obviously wire in totally different.  He will need an online guide for sure, as you suggest.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat