Author Topic: Should I replace a Dometic Ice Maker in a 90 Beaver Contessa?  (Read 3285 times)

Shelly Sperling

Should I replace a Dometic Ice Maker in a 90 Beaver Contessa?
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:49:21 AM »
I bought a 90 Beaver Contessa just a year ago. However, the Dometic Ice Maker has not been used. I've been told not to drink RV Campground water for drinking, and thus not a good idea to make ice from the campground water. Your suggestions? I don't even know how to turn it on.

Shelly Sperling
90 Beaver Contessa
Charlotte, NC

now rolling through Colorado Springs, Canon City, then Alamosa, and then Farmington Rallies.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Should I replace a Dometic Ice Maker in a 90 Beaver Contessa?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
I don't know anything about your icemaker, but WOW, this is the first I have heard about not using RV campgrounds' water for drinking.  If the faucet/s have a sign that says "Not Potable", then we don't drink the water.  Otherwise, I assumed it's good water.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:47:33 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
Hi,

We have a 91 Contessa with the ice maker and it works great. If you decide to replace the icemaker we are looking for a the square ice tray/bucket that goes with the ice maker, ours melted from previous owner. We have the Dometic DN 1070. Happy trails

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:49:49 PM »
Shelly,
Campground drinking water is as safe to drink as any other public water supply. I have been a fulltimer for 15 years and I have always used the campground water for drinking and cooking without a problem.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »
Shelly
Most of us do have a water filter in line to the city water.  A simple charcoal filter out by the faucett is usualy enough.
I assume your fresh water system has been sanitized this year so perhaps you will want to disconnect the water to the ice maker and flush the line a bit. 
We always enjoyed having a good ice maker like that.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

William Jordan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »
My wife won't be without a Ice maker. I'd fix it and use it  Most of the coaches I've seen with a Ice maker have a Charcoal filter somewhere to filter the Ice.
We have two filters inline to take out  (1)sediment  and a second Charcoal small Micron that filters the entire coach water intake. It removes any off taste. With that said I have never had campground water that's not drinkable , even if it did taste off from the minerals. We sanitize the holding tank and almost always use it for all uses unless Boondocking and conserving when we buy bottled or filtered water.
Some people ( whomever told you this) are very concerned about water. They only use Bottled water. All these years and I've never had a problem but some fear That unknown water source ..