Author Topic: Basement Air conditioner/ SCS A/C  (Read 3430 times)

Michael Peters

Basement Air conditioner/ SCS A/C
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
Well my turn for the Beaver experts. The high side a/c has quit. Symtoms are low starts,pulling 10-11amps ,leg 1 , shortly after high attempts to start pulling 40+ amps, this is on leg 2 of CMP-10. This is 1-2 sec event. Thats it,2nd stage doesn't start. It doesn't kick main breaker at panel. I went outside to inspect and under the a/c unit where it discharges on the ground was an oily wet spot roughly same dimension as the condensor air discharge. I'm thinking that is compressor oil.My guess is 2nd comp. line broke. My unit was serviced 4 yrs ago. pulled , cleaned, all start capacitors replaced and mounted outside for replacement,remote taps for both compressors added,flexible lines and supports added.
So with all that I think I need at least 1 compressor. Are they available? Where? Is there a better option?
I know how to r/r the unit, but the internals is out of my league.
Fortunately the 1st stage is working. We're in Nebraska I80 eastbound towards Omaha 

Gerald Farris

Re: Basement Air conditioner/ SCS A/C
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:00:12 AM »
Michael,
It sounds like you either have a bad compressor or a bad control board, but if you are sure that the oil is from your A/C unit, it will defiantly need internal repairs. Even though SCS went out of business in 2010, all of the parts that will be necessary to repair the unit are still available. As for the idea of replacing the unit with a new one, forget it, none of the basement A/C units that are in production will fit your application. Your only reasonable option is to repair the A/C unit that you have. The biggest problem in repairing it is finding a qualified technician that has the time to repair it this time of the year and is willing to do so.

Gerald 

Michael Peters

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:24:08 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for the reply. I agree that finding a tech. will be the hardest. In my notes I have Victory climate systems as a source for parts. I have the SCS service manual, the part # for the compressor is generic to SCS. Would you know the manufacturer so I could shop for the compressor. I don't have a clue what the price would be.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
Michael,
I do not know the compressor part#, but I think that it is a fairly universal 120 volt 13,500 BTU compressor that is commonly used in residential  A/C window units.

Gerald

Michael Peters

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
 Thanks Gerald,
We have settled into the park in Lincoln Ne. I will start calling the morning. Already lined up a mobile rv tech ,said he could do r/r.
He might know a/c shop that could do repairs. The 1st stage is working. Wish me LUCK.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:33:38 PM »
Michael,
I would be sure to have an A/C shop lined-up that has agreed to repair the unit before any removal work is started because you will not even have the primary A/C after removal is started.

Gerald

Michael Peters

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 10:05:52 PM »
Gerald, That has been my hangup ,monday afternoon. Nobody wants to work on whats basically a residential a/c unit. I have sourced replacement compressor. I'm going to start knocking on doors tomorrow,it's just to easy too shut you down on the phone.WE DON'T WORK ON RV'S OR WINDOW UNITS. We're in Lincoln Nebraska, if anybody has a recomendation for a shop I would love to hear it. Our plans were traveling north towards Fargo. Lotsa a/c techs between here and there