Author Topic: On the road with a broken toilet flusher handle..help!  (Read 2075 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
On the road with a broken toilet flusher handle..help!
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »
We used the toilet today, and the flusher handle that you step on just fell off. At first, no matter where we turned on the water, sink, shower, etc., water came pouring in to the toilet. We had to bail water, and then turn off all water sources.

When we got to Green River, UT for the night, I started examining how this thing works. Looking at picture #2906, I have marked where I think the two tabs go in to the handle. Red is already marked and says "spring". The other two, blue and yellow, are assumptions as to where they go. I put the handle back on and was able to flush the toilet, but not able to stop the water running in. So I took the hand back off, and turned the tab in picture #2908 (the blue arrow) down and that stopped the water running. I turned the tab with the yellow arrow, and that opened and closed the flush valve.

So, now I can stop the water from all sources from pouring in. But I don't know how to put this handle back on so that it won't come off again. When I put it back on, it just wobbles. It seems there might be something missing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the handle on tight?

You can click on the pictures to make them larger.

Thanks,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: On the road with a broken toilet flusher handle..help!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:52:18 AM »
I don't have the same toilet, so have no idea how it works.  But I suggest you keep an eye on the black tank's fill level in case you are not getting the water flow shut off.  You don't want a persistent leak into your black tank to fill the tank and overflow it into your loo.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:42:18 AM »
I’m afraid members aren’t answering to help because we don’t recognize your setup.  I, for example, have one of the more common Dometic Sealand series.  Unless I’m missing something obvious, they don’t have valves or pedals quite like yours.

Hopefully there remains one of us that has a similar unit, is familiar with the pedal mounting, and can assist.  Otherwise you might want to search the toilet manufacturer’s site for help.  It actually looks like a Thetford.   https://jet.com/product/Thetford-42036-White-Seat-and-Cover-Assembly-for-Style-Lite-and-Plus-Toilets/e5ec51b5261847beb7ab99499f9e2679

Residence and Style II models’ manual:  https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Owners-Manual-Aqua-Magic-Residence.pdf

Thetford help:  https://www.thetford.com/customer-support/

Joel
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:04:33 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
I can just echo Joel's comments as my toilet is the Sealand/Dometic. Also as Joel suggests and from your photos it appears to be a Thetford. The following is a different exploded view of what appears to be your toilet but doubt whether it will provide the answer to your flow control problem.
I suggest it might have to do with the position of the water control knob when you reattach the foot lever.

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/42088_Perm-OM-06_42088C-1.pdf[/font]

I hope this is of assistance. Good luck Stan[/font]

Bob Stone[/font]
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
Update:

First, Joel & Bob, it is a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II..a replacement of the original. Thanks for the information provided. After I posted this problem, I went back at it, and just kept trying different combinations, and I finally found the one that works. My assumption as to where the tabs went was correct. I just didn't have them lined up correctly the first few times I tried it. After awhile, it all just seemed to go together, and now it works as if it had never been off. I don't even have to lift it with my foot to make sure it seals correctly, when finished.

Whew!

This forum is a irreplaceable wealth of information!

In the event someone else has the same problem, here is a video from Thetford showing how to attach a replacement foot pedal. Caution: It's 240p, so not the best resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfWyX3NgQGk

Stan
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:18:36 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad