Author Topic: Xantrex RS2000 Dead, Possible Workaround Solution?  (Read 2725 times)

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
Xantrex RS2000 Dead, Possible Workaround Solution?
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »
Last night we lost wall 120v power in the coach - everything on the inverter..

Have verified good 119v power at pedestal.  Aladdin shows 119v.  Roof AC still works..

Xantrex RS2000 inverter does not power up at all.    Verified good 118v going into RS2000.  Nothing AC coming out.    Verified 12.59v DC going into RS2000.   

After talking to Xantrex support, their last effort suggestion was to shutdown all input AC and DC to the unit for at least 1hr and then try to restart.   Low probability of success.   Otherwise they think the unit is done.

Assuming that last try fails, as a temporary work around for several days, would it be feasible to wire nut the 120V AC in and out together, at the inverter itself, to bypass the unit until a new inverter can be purchased ?   

I have a separate 12vbattery charger that I can put on the house batteries to help recharge the 12v energy used in the coach.     What else or other problems could I cause by the temporary rewiring around the dead Xantrex?
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Xantrex RS2000 Dead, Possible Workaround Solution?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »
I have done exactly what you are suggesting with no adverse effects.  I disconnected the AC in and wire nutted it to the AC out effectively removing the inverter/charger from the system.  I used a portable charger to keep my batteries up until I could replace the inverter/charger.  I replaced the Xantrex with a Magnum unit and have been very happy with it. 
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Gerald Farris

Re: Xantrex RS2000 Dead, Possible Workaround Solution?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:07:06 AM »
Bryan,
The only negative issue that you may run into with your Xantrex wire-around is that you are also wiring around the circuit breakers that are built into most Xantrex inverters. This will leave you with just one 30 amp breaker to protect all inverter feed circuits. So be careful no to overload any of the 15 or 20 amp inverter feed circuits. However, if your inverter has a separate subpanel like the ones used with a Magnum inverters instead of breakers on the inverter, you should have no issues.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt