Author Topic: Check Trans light on dash  (Read 1787 times)

Dan Murphy

Check Trans light on dash
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
We just completed a 6000 mile journey visiting friends and seeing sights in the west and Canada.The Cat engine ran great and with a couple hiccups with the aqua-hot and a blown radiator hose we made it back with a couple bucks left in our pockets!

Thanks to Karl Welhart and Mike Rump for help on the Aqua-Hot we solved a leaking problem. The radiator hose was fixed in Lethbridge, Alberta at Diesel Tech.It burst just minutes from their facility AFTER a harrowing trip thru Banff in the thick smoke from fires. It could have been terrible!!

Diesel Tech found the problem after I added coolant and limped in to their shop.They kept us overnite and they had to fabricate a hose to fit!We were back on the road the next day by noon! Good people!!

Now---coming across country for 4 days in the rain when we headed for home I got a check trans light on the dash!! I ran diagnostic on my mini-Alladin and got no faults. I ran the diagnostic function on my Silverleaf PC and it gave me a code on P 2761. After discussion with Dave Atherton I ran the coach the next morning thru the gears and everything sounded and ran fine and the ck trans light was gone.

We drove another 600 miles home and never had another light or problem.[ Other than a leaking roof air!! ]  Boo!!

Has this light appeared for others and should I go to a Allison shop and get it checked or was it possible all that driving in the rain  for 4 days caused this light--- or WHAT?

Any suggestions or comments??  I do know the code P2761 had to do with an open connection on the TCC PCM whatever that is!!

Mike Shumack

Re: Check Trans light on dash
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
From what I have read on this, the P2761 is a "Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS)", Open.

As it was raining when this occurred, I suspect the wiring connector got wet which resulting in one of the wires (the TCC PCS) losing contact.

If you can figure out where this connector is located, you could unplug the connector (check the terminal pins) and spray with a cleaner sealer (like DetoxIT).
Otherwise, perhaps crawl under the coach and starting at the transmission, unplug and check/clean all the connectors you can find.

The other option is to do nothing, and see if the trans light ever comes back on.