Author Topic: Switching Winegard Traveler for Direct to Dish  (Read 2431 times)

Bill Englund

• BAC Member
Switching Winegard Traveler for Direct to Dish
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
Well I’m finally so TOTALLY fed up with Directv that I'm am going to switch to Dish. I can go on and on about the problems with Diretv, but that’s for another post.

Here’s my question, currently I have a Winegard Traveler SK-SWM3 which is the Directv version.

From the information I’ve been able to gather, it can be converted to a model SK-1000 which is the Dish version of the Traveler.

Has anyone done this conversion and what was their experience?
Is it simple or complex?
Does is need to be done by a professional “tv guy”.

Any input would be helpful before I step into this tv service quagmire.
Bill Englund
2008 Country Coach Affinity 45'
600 Cummins
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Switching Winegard Traveler for Direct to Dish
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
Hi Bill,
  Here are some considerations: You will have to change the reflector, the 3 LNB's and the control box that actually controls everything. It also locates, verifies and locks onto 110 119 and 129 dish network satellites. Not real sure what the expense is. Retail on a new dish network Traveler is around 1600.00. If you like, I can do more research. The guys on the forum are perhaps more creative and resourceful.

Blessings and Joy, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
I converted my Winegard DirecTV to DISH. Winegard sells a kit for the conversion. The cost was $355.00 IIRC. Includes everything you need to change it to DISH.

The pay-as-you-go plan from DISH is the cat's meow.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
Our new Entegra came with Direct. We were advise to not convert but to get a Dish dish if we wanted to not have a problem now or in the future. Dish can at some times as all of them do make adjustments and then yours may not be compatible with those new features. That advice came directly from our Dish Satellite guy.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
Hey Guys,
 Not only is Dish RV friendly, but they will actually talk to you on the phone if you are having an issue. You can turn receivers on and off on a monthly basis, enjoy local channels in what ever major city your in. Even their cheapest carry out dome will give you hi-def channels on your tv. I have installed over 30 of these systems and they are superior in every way compared to Directv.

Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

William Jordan

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »
Our coach was equipped luckily with a “Dish” traveler
I have known those who have converted from the direct traveler to dish and  the cost as noted is about $300. I’m on a couple  “tv” forums and I have not heard of any problems with the conversion. I don’t know why a installer would say that.  The mechanism is supposedly larger on the direct version and that would be a plus but I have no idea if that true. The reflector is larger on the direct model for sure.
I was told the dish versions can’t be converted to direct because the reflector and mechanism werent capable of the larger reflector which doesn’t make a lot of sense but. ...In any case I’d keep the direct parts because it can then easily be converted back ,and the next owner might appreciate that. I’ve had both services and unless you must have Sunday ticket,  Dish is much more RV and traveling friendly.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Bill,
As an example, we cannot get satellite reception in the site we are in. Our DISH one-month subscription expired on 9-7. I didn't renew it. When we get to the next campground, I will re-activate it (we aren't leaving here until the 18th) and pay for 30 days. No need to pay for service you can't get. I love that we converted to DISH from DirecTV.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad