Author Topic: Check Engine Light  (Read 1857 times)

George L Smith

Check Engine Light
« on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »
I have had a check engine light come on intermittantly since I bought the coach. No one has been able to diagnose the problem. Everyone claims that the Aladdin system is or does not capture the error codes and store them for retrieval.

I saw a  thread that said that stopping the rig, cycling the ignition, sometimes made the check engine light go away. This has been the case for me as well. If I pull over, shut down the ignition, wait a few seconds and then restart, everything is fine. This has been disconcerting to me for a while.

I purchased the Silverleaf VMSpc equipment, installed it, and started our 7 week run back to Texas from the Northeast. As expected, the check engine light did in fact come on, and I got diagnostic codes from the VMSpc. As usual, stopping and recycling, and I'm back on my way.

The codes that I got indicate:
ENG SPN  2952  7 Intake Actuator #3             Not Responding    9/10/18 10:37
ENG SID    31 23 Tachometer Signal Output       Not Responding    9/10/18 10:37

The check engine light did come on again about 50 miles later and displayed the same codes.

After recycling the motor home again, the check engine light did not come on again, for the rest of today's leg.

Now that I've got the diagnosis, what do I do about it? Do I need to stop the trip to fix these issues, or can I continue to recycle on the rare occasions that it happens, and fix it when we get back to Texas?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
George, what you have happening is called an event code. The engine you have is a C-12,
C-13 or C-15. When posting a problem as you indicated you would like technical support, I
would suggest posting what model and engine serial number of your engine. If you would
go to Ask Dave on technical section information on valve actuators will give you the information
on your problem.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

George L Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
Thanks Dave. Just FYI, it's a CAT 13 (525)

I'll do that.

George L Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:00:22 AM »
Thanks Dave. I read the reply that you made about the intake actuator. Sounds exactly like my problem. Can I assume from your answer, that as long as I don't have a derate situation, that I am fine to get back to Texas, where I'll have time to get the electrical connection checked, or maybe even check it myself? It's just going to be an annoyance?