Author Topic: Sealand 510 Plus Toilet  (Read 3161 times)

jeffprupis

Sealand 510 Plus Toilet
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
The "ball" on our Sealand toilet is getting a bit of calcium build up from hard water at CGs.
Would CLR be safe to use on it? Or any other suggestions?
Nice to have a question that is not a critical situation for a change.
TIA

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:10:37 PM by Jeff Prupis »

roger martin

Re: Sealand 510 Plus Toilet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
I'm sure that would work.  Lemon juice or white vinegar would work too.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
CLR says it can be used on plastics but not plastic laminates.  Hmmm.  If it were me I’d use a good vinegar soak, and CLR if that doesn’t cut it.  Resist using a stiff brush or metal scraper, as micro scratching the ball could compromise its ability to be sealed.  A gently used nylon kitchen scrub pad might help.

Varying water quality across the country prompted us to get a softener that’s small enough to stand up in a storage bay near or in the water bay, and which works at home for rinsing washed vehicles spot-free.
https://www.campingworld.com/on-the-go-portable-standard-water-softener-conditioner?CAWELAID=120030630000002283&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65LaxcvP3QIVAhtpCh3BHQbeEAQYAyABEgIRUPD_BwE

Joel
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:06:26 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 03:43:18 AM »
Joel, we have the double standard one, and it was $250 something at an online RV supplier. It doesn't fit in the wet bay because its too fat, but it stands up to travel in the bay to the left of the wet bay. I put two metal screws in the rail of the Kwikee slide out tray, about 18 inches apart, and fasten a heavy rubber, short bungee cord with hooks on each end around the body of the unit and hook it down. It has never fallen over in transit.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »
Yeah, Stan, I mulled hard over the two sizes, but the smaller one’s stats seemed adequate and it’s measurements meant it stood up nicely in the “partial” pass-through bay opening adjoining the water bay, likely a unique feature of the 36ft Montereys.  I usually tuck it tight on the ground behind the street side living room slide so it’s less visible from the campground road and less subject to theft, but with effort it can sit inside the bay with hoses running to and from the water side... just a bit of a squeeze when the door closes on them.  I put an 8inch plastic flower pot tray under it to catch any connection drips in there.  The Dirt Devil vacuum box on the bay ceiling keeps the unit from falling over, so no bungees have been necessary.

I discovered much to my triumph that the little devil seems to last far longer than anticipated before requiring a recharge.  So the larger unit would’ve held little benefit, at least for our frequency of use.  In fact I don’t think in several years it’s yet to need a recharge, used in the RV at most sites and often for filling the tank, and for many washes at home of our vehicles.  A full-timer might want the larger unit.

But we’re kinda getting away from the original question here re. the water closet calcium removal.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:44:33 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:30 AM »
 Vinegar did the trick - thanks