Author Topic: Samsung Household Refrigerator  (Read 4320 times)

Jack Whitmill

Samsung Household Refrigerator
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »
Have had a Samsung household refrigerator for several years. It has started acting up, with the refrigerator not holding temperature, going up into the 50's. The freezer is fine though. Only way to stop it is to empty whole fridge and freezer out and turn off for 24 hours. When turned back on it is fine and works for another 6 or so weeks.  Has anyone had this problem and what have you done to fix it?  Several people have said this is an ongoing problem with Samsung.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Samsung Household Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
I don’t have an answer to your question. We just had a Samsung RF-18 installed in our Patriot Thunder. It’s disappointing to read it’s giving you trouble. I’m glad I bought the 5 year warranty from Home Depot. I hope someone has a good answer for your problem. I’ll be interested to find out what it is. Good luck!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:21:33 AM »
Our GE at home turns out to have been made by Samsung.  I would not buy another.  The ice maker design is poor and loud and it breaks... I’ve torn it apart and repaired it twice in 8 years.  The evaporator drain on Samsungs is known to plug and ice up, and ours did.  Everything had to come out and go in ice chests for several hours while I figured out how to get the inside back panel off to access the evaporator.  It wasn’t easy.  Aligning the panel to put it back was even more difficult.

The drain heating device that’s supposed to keep it from ice-plugging is simple and ineffective.  It’s at the bottom of the evaporator, and has a tongue that extends into the drain port to keep it ice free.  The tongue isn’t long enough.   https://www.appliance-parts-experts.com/DA61-06796A--Refrigerator-Drain-Clip--AP5579885-PS4145120_p_4089.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdbV26zS3QIVhrrACh1I2AdEEAQYBCABEgLdd_D_BwE

I made my own aluminum copy of it with a longer tongue extending further down the drain port and with longer side flange-wraps making a better and more assured contact with the heat source.  We’ve had no more issues, at least not with the evaporator system.  The ice maker is still loud enough to wake the dead, and still overfills and frustratingly clogs. 

Your symptoms are slightly different than ours, where our deli tray froze to the bottom.  But the cause of that was water that couldn’t escape the evaporator by normal draining during defrost cycles, and overflowing.  This compromised the entire cooling process.  Excess water then drained down the back Inside wall of the fridge, pooling on the bottom where the deli tray froze to it.  So there’s a chance your warming scenario could be from a plugged evaporator defrost drain.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 03:01:56 AM »
The comment about the metal piece to help with evaporation is very valid. Also have someone check the inline fuse that is behind the plastic covering the evaporation fins. Once our Samsung had the metal piece installed and the fuse replaced we have not had a problem. Also make sure the refrigerator has a slight pitch toward the outside wall. We keep our coach pitched that way ever so slight plus the pitch of the refrigerator when it was installed in the coach.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9