Author Topic: Vent Cover issue.  (Read 3676 times)

Walter Parr

Vent Cover issue.
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
I bought 2 Camco XLT Vent Covers so I could drive with the vents open and not worry about rain getting in when they are open
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Cleaning-Aerodynamic-Included-Hardware/dp/B00T36Q98O
They don't fit. The vents open up taller than the depth (10.5 in) of the covers I tried to install.

Any recommendations or work around?

Greg Ross

• BAC Member
Re: Vent Cover issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »
Hi Walter,
If they are 'Fantasic Fans' they should stop when they meet resistance (the new cover).
Ours do.
2008 Contessa
C9 425HP

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:51:38 AM »
Fantastic fan has a cover designed for it but seems like it wou ld work with others.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
Do you need 1/2" or 3/4" more height? Make block's to raise and put weather stripe or caulk between the vent base and the cover. Or return to shipper and replace with a vent that has the intended height. Me I'd make blocks out of plastic and caulk were needed.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
Just went through the rain cover process again. 

When we bought our Beaver in 2003 there was only one vent cover.  The concept of keeping rain out with an open FantasticFan vent was invented by Maxxair.  They made one and it was white.  I bought two. 

The Monterey was equipped with electrically opened Fantastic Fans.  They open automagically until they find mechanical resistance.  Stock, the resistance comes at the end of the supplied arm.  With the Maxxair covers, the resistance came when the Fan lid arrived at the Maxxair cover.  It worked fine for the entire 12 years.

The original Maxxair vents were a PITA when it came to cleaning.  Small nuts, bolts and washers had to be dealt with to remove the cover.   Since the original there are now more choices from FantasticFan themselves, Maxair and Camco.  On our (now gone) PleasureWay we used a FantasticFan vent cover.  The lid opened all the way and simple pins allowed removal for cleaning. 

Our newest rig has three FantasticFans!  This time, due to color choices, a hinged design and larger vent space we picked the Maxxair II in "smoke".   The lid does hit the vent about a 1/2 inch before wide open.

Regarding Jim's approach with blocks and calk, I wouldn't do that unless cleaning is determined to be done only by your spouse.   Access for cleaning the cover and the fan would be worse than installing them!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
In all the years we've had our Beaver, there were no vent covers, other than the ones that came with the Fantastic Fans. I never noticed it until I re-sealed the roof this past summer. I purchased two vent covers. The fan covers stop automatically when they encounter resistance.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 11:30:30 PM »
Bill, you traded up to a newer Pleasureway?

Lee wants to tow one, ha... so we can go places Monty Rae can’t, or can more quickly prep and leave on short local trips.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Walter Parr

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, decided to not put on the vent covers, going to replace the vents with newer, quieter vents that have a built in cover and close in the rain, plus works off a remote control.
So  then I'll have to figure out the wiring since it won't be operated off the thermostat.