Author Topic: Proper hydraulic fluid  (Read 2660 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Proper hydraulic fluid
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
Getting a constant beep alert from the leveling system. I think I need to add hydraulic fluid.  Manual says Dextron 3, tank has stamp reading Dextron 2.  Are the two versions compatible?  Thanks!

Mike Shumack

Re: Proper hydraulic fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:00:48 PM »
The Dexron is all backward compatible. No problem using Dexron III.

Dexron II came out in 1972, and Dexron III in 1993. It's surprising you tank says "II" on it. Could one of the "I" be worn off the tank label? Doesn't really matter though. Use the III.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Lawrence,
I doubt that you will find Dexron II fluid. Dexron II was introduced in 1972, and replaced by Dexron III in 1993, so it is pretty certain that your coach came with Dexron III in the leveling system when it was built.

Gerald 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
I found this by doing a GOOGLE Search:

"Automatic transmission fluids. ... Over the years, the original Dexron was supplanted by Dexron-II, Dexron-IIE, Dexron-III, and Dexron-VI, which is the current fluid. GM has upgraded the Dexron specifications over the years; newer fluids are generally but not always backward compatible with previous fluids."

The brand Dexron includes not only include an automatic transmission fluid - perhaps it used to but not anymore.  Read this:

"General Motors is expanding its DEXRON® driveline lubricant products beyond transmission fluid and gear oil to include a comprehensive family of fluids designed to protect and prolong the life of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles."

So, make sure you're getting the correct Dexron fluid for your usage.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:09:23 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!