Author Topic: Engine idling  (Read 2468 times)

Jason Worman

Engine idling
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »
Is engine idling bad? It's the only way I have for now to charge the coach batteries. I let the engine idle each morning for about 20 minutes and let the alternator do its thing. Generator needs repair and charger has failed. I do have a standard automative battery charger. If I use that do I need to unhook each battery to charge? I have them wired in a series. Thanks

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Engine idling
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
You can leave the batteries hooked up.  Theoretically each positive post is the same point electrically as any other as is each negative post.  But length does matter in electrical circuits so it would be best to hook up your charger at the point that the battery cables go to the chassis ground and off to the inverter and other places.  As far as the charger goes it will work but it will be slow so just leave it on all the time you are plugged in.  Hopefully it will be able to keep up with your power usage. Caution...using your alternator to charger discharged house batteries is very hard on the alternator and will shorten it's life.
Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Thank you, will us the battery charger

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
One more question, the charger has different settings, should I set the charger to a 5 amp trickle charge or something higher like a 20 amp charge?

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »
Also I am plugged into 50 amp shore power, will this create a problem using the automative charger?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
Your coach charging system is probably over 100 amps.  I don't know for sure on your coach.  My Magnum inverter has a 125 amp charger.  So the more the better.  Most newer quality chargers are 3 stage chargers that will step up the charge in the beginning and decrease it as your batteries get charged.  If you are living in the coach I doubt the charger will keep you 100% charged but should suffice until you can get things fixed.  The charger was probably designed for regular residential house current so I would guess yes 50 amp will be fine.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
Jerry,

Thank you for your help this morning. Got the charger hooked up and set to 20 amp charging. Will take a awhile, once charged will switch to optimum setting which selects best charging option. The charger is a good 3 stage charger. If you ever come out to the West Coast drop by.

Jason
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert