Author Topic: Monitor panel accuracy  (Read 2355 times)

Jason Worman

Monitor panel accuracy
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
Hi

So I have new batteries and new charger. Batteries are charged between 13.18-13.22 volts. Command center has voltage reading 12.3 volts. Is this difference expected and can CommandCenter be calibrated or fixed? Or is designed to give an approximation? At what voltage drop should I turn charger back on?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Monitor panel accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »
Believe it or not, at 12 volts your batteries are half gone.  At full (Float charge) status they should be around 3.4v.

I’m not familiar with your particular coach or the “command center”, but on our system we must program in the battery type we are using, for example so it doesn’t try to Equalize-charge AGM’s.  Hopefully your inverter/charger is correctly set (if necessary) for what you’ve installed and is therefore reading things correctly.  Some use an Echo charger which is okay but has been known here to fail.  Also if some considerable device is on at the time, it may be dragging down voltage on the readout more than the charger can compensate. 

On ours, the charger is automatic;  rarely do I have occasion to press the “charge” button.  I would think yours could be left on as long as you’re plugged into park power, the charger has a float charge feature, and you have current (field rings) sensors around the cables that work, and a functioning battery temperature sensor.

Others here are more electrically competent than I and know your coach, which is much different than mine, and should be helpful.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:55:23 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:23 PM »
A fully charged 12v battery system standing alone will show 12.6v-12.7v.

A 12v battery system with a charger attached and in float status will show 13.4v-13.7v.  But in this circumstance the battery voltage is not what is being seen.  What is being seen is the charger's system float voltage.

If I am wrong, then please correct me.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:27:34 AM »
Jason,
Are you charging your batteries with your inverter/converter (commonly just called an inverter), or are you using a off the self stand alone battery charger? If you are using an inverter/converter with a good 3 stage battery charger, you never turn off the charge function unless there is a maintenance issue. However, if you are using a stand alone automotive charger, it depends upon its quality and whether or not it has an automatic float charge function. If it is a good quality 3 stage charger with an automatic float charge function, you can leave it on as long as you are on shore power, but if not it will overheat/overcharge and damage your batteries. So you will have to answer your question depending on what you are using for a charger. If you are using a standard automotive charger, you turn on the charger at about 12.1 volts and off at about 14.2 volts.   

As for the voltage reading on your command center, there is no adjustment and repairs will be expensive if you can find someone who is willing to work on a 27 year old electronic panel. The gauges in your command center are the old analog design that have a questionable accuracy rating at best. As I always tell owners who question the accuracy of their analog dash gauges, "They are for entertainment purposes only". If you want to know what the voltage of your house batteries is, look at the remote control on your inverter, and if you do not have one, get one.

Gerald     
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Gerald,

Thank you for your endless patience in my questions. I am using a stand alone 3 stage charger with automatic float function. I called the manufacturer today because battery gets up to 90% charged but won't kick into float mode and it kicks off. I have a battery remote I keep an eye on the battery condition. Thanks for giving me chuckle about the analog panel, not worth the expense. Hope to meet you all at a future rally. I am looking to replace my Xantrex Freedom 458 in the next couple of weeks once the entire electrical system is analyzed including the breakers.

Jason

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 03:10:55 AM »
Jason,
Consider a Magnum if you replace the inverter. From all reports here it seems to be a better product. I've had both and the Magnum seems to outperform the Xantrex and is easier to monitor IMHO.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:19:26 AM »
Steve,

The wiring and install would simply be switching wire for wire I hope. Will leave that to the techs.

Kason