Author Topic: Why it so important to take oil samples  (Read 4195 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Why it so important to take oil samples
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
The subject of oil samples and owning a Caterpillar or Cummins engine go hand in hand. It seems
we are getting side tracked on maintenance oil changes filters etc. and to some it’s is cost and I
understand. With my background oil samples were required on just about everything we worked on.
With our electronic engines today keeping things simple doing maintenance and changing oil and
filters. When changing engine oil and filters would suggest each time take a oil sample, this is your best protection in long life operation and operation cost, and many failure on this forum could have been
prevented with low cost repairs as results of oil sampling. The next question WHY oil samples now.
Understanding how caterpillar has built there engines. Different parts and components each has its
own DNA that oil samples readout. Caterpillar has re-man parts that require exchange of only a
failed caterpillar OEM parts that means oil sampling can recognize metal alloys. When you get a
part number in many cases there will also have a OR-number indicates part been rebuilt to all
caterpillar standards. This is why aftermarket parts Caterpillar will not give you credit for for the
above reasons. When parts start to wear, the metal and alloy counts increases and is recorded.
Owner will receive a copy of oil sample report and indication on what is wearing that requires
attention. Last thing oil sampling require a base line to have some thing to compare all other
sample reading to. Just taking a oil sample when failure happens testing lab has nothing to compare
other than a very high count. Last Caterpillar has one of the best oil sample labs and being a
Caterpillar owner you can pin point what is happening. There are many oil testing labs but there
is not a set of standards to follow like Caterpillar. Cummins has there own testing lab for owners
of Cummins engines.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Bill Sprague

Re: Why it so important to take oil samples
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »
Dave, do you do oil analysis on your Mercedes?

Our Beaver had a Cummins.  Monaco apparently didn't know or care that it was supposed to have a Cat.

I don't know how Cat or Cummins do it if you are a DIY owner.  When I used to get service at the Cummins Coach Care in Coburg, OR, they never offered or suggested oil analysis. 

When I started doing my own LOF, I started using Blackstone Labs.  They give you a very convenient kit with everything needed to mail it back.  They then charge about $30 for the actual analysis and report.   

My initial motivation was the transmission, not the engine.  So, I did both.  Blackstone has a convenient $35 vacuum pump to pull a sample from the transmission through the filler tube.  You can also use the pump to get an oil sample if you are between changes or you forgot to ask for analysis when you got service.

Now that I've returned to burning diesel (and have a superlative, German engineered motor) I will probably start using Blackstone again.  The MB Sprinter book says to change oil every 20K miles!  Oil analysis about every 7K miles might be interesting.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
I know I have never heard or seen anywhere that you should take an oil sample before it came up on this forum just lately.
I do now know that the only way you are going to have any basis for knowing if you have a situation that could develop into a major engine failure would be to have a sample of the oil as there is no other mechanism or fluid that will indicate to you that you are having a metallic part breaking down.
Because I purchased a non Beaver in 2017, Entegra Cornerstone, I had not been on the Forum much. What I did not know and never considered with a new engine was that it would not go for many miles with any concern, isnt that what a diesel engine does. In talking with Dave Atherton and reading his posts I am significantly appreciative I continued to go to the Beaver Forum. Blind faith with a new engine is not always a success story. Blind faith with a used coach and used engine is not even a good oxymoron.
There is no one out there that will protect you better than yourself.
In consideration that you are protecting a $30 - $60,000 engine whatever the sampling cost is, is very cheap insurance.
We use Amsoil synthetic and I will have them and Cummins and CAT do samples on every oil change for this new 600 hp Cummins. We will have a baseline documented numerous ways for the warranty - if ever needed.

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the fine treatise, Dave.  Very timely reminder for me, as I just mailed my sample off to Carolina CAT following a chassis service/check that included oil and filter change as well as fuel filters, lube, etc. I like having CAT keeping up with that important chemistry.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:27 AM »
Bill, being a retired Caterpillar Mechanic I still use caterpillar for oil sample lab. One thing with
my Sprinter Mercedes engine rated for bio fuel up to 8 % so I’m using additive and oil sampling
at 7500 mile service and no problems. The nice thing I put on Ask Dave few years back pertaining
Bio fuel and Caterpillar engines . All models Caterpillar are rated up to 20 % bio fuel usage. I
can look up and post Caterpillar Service bulletin on taking oil sample regular because of usage
of bio fuel.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »
..... so I’m using additive and oil sampling at 7500 mile service and no problems. .....
Dave,

What additive are you using in your Sprinter?  I might do the same. 

And, for whatever it might or not be worth,  the Mercedes paperwork I've got limits the bio to 5%.  I'll send a copy if you want.

Bill

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »
Bill,
Where do you go to get 5% bio every fill-up?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Bill , where can find Bio Fuel at 5 % , been all over many many states ( Bio Fuel 5 to 20 % ).
What is happening with our little engines direct from Mecedes where my engine is a 2010. The
Bio Fuel thickens in the fuel filter and I use Howe Diesel After treatment 8 oz for 25 gallons of
Diesel fuel. Basic it is anti-jell for cold weather of which I use year round. I do oil sampling along
and every 7,500 miles engine oil filter and fuel filter. The last part you will like, before I started
Using this fuel treatment I lost 3 miles per gallon because Bio Fuel With treatment in fuel I gained
Back the mileage lost. I have put on 72,000 miles with treatments and oil sampling. Last note:
on bio fuel creates water and soot in the engine oil because the engine cannot warm up to make
It effective like the big trucks. Again all of our Caterpillar are rated up to 20 % . Cummins engines
some models also were not rated Bio fuel above 8 to 10 %. Kinda getting off track on another
subject but Oil sampling is very important with our Bio Fuel and engine oil and oil filters service at
Sooner service periods. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
.....and I use Howe Diesel After treatment 8 oz for 25 gallons of Diesel fuel.

Thanks Dave!  I never used and additive in the Cummins/Beaver.  I think I'll try it in the Sprinter.