Author Topic: Aqua Hot/ Heat exchanger leaks.  (Read 3017 times)

Kevin Patchen

Aqua Hot/ Heat exchanger leaks.
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
I have 2008 Patriot Thunder with a aqua hot heating system. Two out of four heat exchangers have small leaks some wear. I can really tell for sure were they are leaking,but I can smell the boiler solution.

My question is do they make a system sealer like they do for a radiator in a car? 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Aqua Hot/ Heat exchanger leaks.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
My advice, just replace the leaking radiators, they are not that expensive. Check with Aqua Hot and or John Carrollo at Heat My Rv for replacements. Also try Northwest RV supply in Eugene OR.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Roy Lewis

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
We have a 02 Marquis and we had fluid loss at tank and discovered leaks at 2 exchangers. The leaks occurred at the elbow going into the exchangers .  I pulled the grilles off and tightened the hose clamps and the leaks were solved. How much fluid have you added to boiler.

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
I’m adding one or two pints of boiler coolant a week. Depending on hour of use.  I’ll check all the elbows for leaks. Thanks for the help.

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
I believe I found the problem.  I found leaks at the entry connections (elbow) going into the back bedroom and the Bathroom exchanges.  Added and tightened clamps and I believe my problem has resolved.

Can some one  tell me on the average how much Boiler Antifreeze a aqua hot uses a week? Is it suppose to use any?

Steve Funk

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
Kevin, I don't think you should have a need to add any unless there is a leak somewhere.  I haven't added any in the 4 years since mine was new.

Steve

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
Hi Kevin, Glad you found a simple fix. We bought our Patriot Thunder in 2015, and I have yet to add a drop of boiler fluid to the AH 100-4 unit. Last winter I did an annual service; Fuel filter, new burner jet (orifice). I would like it if the air coming out of the heat registers were warmer, and that the fans were quieter!. Good luck and happy holidays!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
I believe it was Bill Spraque that opined about his experience regarding his Aquahot.  He said primarily the water will evaporate out of the 50%-50% solution.  So if the solution gets low on the surge tank, then adding only distilled water should keep the mixture at generally 50%-50%.

That being said, I had my Aquahot worked on several years ago (August 2014) by Mike Flowerday.  It was an expensive repair for my extended warranty company.  That was four years ago and the Aquahot has worked flawlessly since... until our trip south to Yuma this past October 2018.  The Aquahot would start and soon shut down.  After searching the BAC Forum for possible fixes, I ended up putting two gallons of distilled water into the surge tank over several days.  The obvious problem WAS the problem.  The surge tank was empty indicating the coolant solution had evaporated out to the point the Aquahot's coolant level sensor would shut down the unit.  I suspect I will be putting more distilled water into the surge tank to bring it up to the proper level indicator on the surge tank.

Also, I know there has been several opinions about using diesel additives relative to our expensive engines.  But I continue to add one quart of Lucas Fuel Treatment more for keeping the Aquahot clean as opposed to keeping the engine's parts clean.  Since being parked here in Yuma since late October, the Aquahot has, again, run flawlessly.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3069.msg29012.html#msg29012
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
Kevin,
Consider getting a refractometer to check the coolant antifreeze status. It's also very handy for checking battery fluid status. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=refractometer See discussion on Forum  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5244.msg39354.html#msg39354
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:25:47 AM »
I believe it was Bill Spraque that opined about his experience regarding his Aquahot.  He said primarily the water will evaporate out of the 50%-50% solution.  So if the solution gets low on the surge tank, then adding only distilled water should keep the mixture at generally 50%-50%........

Yes, David it was me that opined.  It was after a lengthy service from John Carrillo where he found our system out of balance because I had been adding 50%-50% a quart at a time over ten years.  Other stuff was wrong too.

FWIW, our HydroHot had been acting screwy for about two years.  A couple certified by AquaHot technicians found nothing wrong.  John did his version of a complete troubleshoot and the HydroHot returned to working as new.  If your Hydro/AquaHot isn't working right, find John!

Bill

PS:  It is Sprague not Spraque, but that happens a lot (grining)