Author Topic: Fuel gelling prevention  (Read 4461 times)

jeffprupis

Fuel gelling prevention
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
While we have all intentions of avoiding freezing temps I'm wondering what PREVENTIVE measures I can take to avoided gelled fuel? Heard about 911. Any thoughts? TIA

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel gelling prevention
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »
Jeff,
Power Service 911 is not an additive to be added to your fuel to prevent jelling, it is used to restore flow in a system that is already clogged from ice or jell. If you are in the north, most of the fuel that you buy will be a winter blend (additives, #1 diesel, #1 & #2 diesel blend, or kerosene blended diesel), and jelled fuel will not be a problem. especially after the engine is running because the return fuel will warm the fuel tank.

The most common problem with jelled fuel is when a coach (or truck) fuels in the south and heads north (for a reason that I will not understand), or is fuelled in the summer and stored until cold weather ( another thing that I do not understand). In these cases the use of a fuel additive like Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost (in the silver bottle), is usually the recommended product. However, remember that even with straight #2 diesel jelling is usually not an issue until the 10 to 15 degree F. range.

Gerald     

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
Yes, get #1 diesel (stove oil) or a winter blend of #1 and #2 diesel.  Truckers sometimes put up to 10% gasoline with #2 diesel, too, in very cold weather.  There are additives also to prevent jelling of the diesel.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
Although I agree with Gerald, I might add and suggest you consider Power Service’s white bottle, Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost.  But as he noted, most fuel you’ll encounter in cooler climates already has anti-gel in it.

I’m a fan of Power Service products, but use the right one for each purpose.  I keep a jug each of white and silver on hand at home, or on board for occasional use at fill ups;  sometimes for foreseen long term storage where I’ve noted a little debris in the filter bowl, along with a full tank I may use both their Clear-Diesel and Bio Kleen products, which can be harder to find.  Their similar-sounding product names can be confusing and hard to remember, but the PS customer service is phenomenal, Jeff, so contact them if you need more information or help locating a retailer.
http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/

Joel
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:01:00 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
 Some of us that don't drive in snow and cold country have a hard time understanding why you would. My bones ache in the cold, SO as Gerald has said many times "in winter he stays south of I-10".
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »
And I would add - some of us don't know why anyone would live or go into California... for many reasons - fuel prices, tax rates, potholes, 5 mph freeway traffic, etc.

I sure am glad people are different.  Wouldn't it be a boring world if everyone thought the same and liked the same things?

And you might ask why we go to Yuma in October and home (NE Oregon) in late March.  Well, read Jim's post.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:38:34 AM »
Obviously many here have never towed snowmobiles into Yellowstone, Idaho’s South Hills, or to Mt. Hood.  A warm, food-laden Beaver is nice to come home to after long forays on motorized sleds among the hills!  Ditto I’m sure for cross country skiers, but I’ve seen coaches of all sizes winter-overnighting in the far reaches of Mt. Hood Meadows’ parking lot (a particularly popular ski area).  We’ve been caught in early snowstorms in Wyoming and Idaho, Colorado and Oregon;  some common sense will get you through... and a great machine like our Beavers.  Respect the situation, but don’t be afraid too much.  There’s nothing like being cozied up in your coach on a cold snowy night.

Joel

Sorry... kinda getting away from the diesel gelling topic.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:40:20 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
Joel, you made camping in the freezing cold and snow almost enjoyable. But I get cold in Florida when it gets below 60. My arthritis issue I have doesn't get along with the cold as I can barely move when it gets cold. But you did make it sound so interesting in your post as I have never been skiing or snowmobiling in my 63 years of life!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
LaMonte,
I have done all of that in my younger and more resilient years, but at 72 I try to avoid most 4 letter words like cold, snow, work, heat, and home. That is why I own a motorhome, it makes following the good weather, and being homeless and unemployed the best lifestyle there is.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Mike Tomas

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
"A warm, food-laden Beaver is nice to come home to after long forays on motorized sleds among the hills!"  "There’s nothing like being cozied up in your coach on a cold snowy night."

Joel

And Yes, although not many would understand the wanton desire to go north, We, who are pinned in central Arizona sometimes try to get out of the valley on holidays. This was our first Thanksgiving weekend, and I wanted to head up to the Mogollon Rim because I heard there was a slim chance for a small amount of Snow to fall up there. We, in the south never get to wake up to a winter wonderland on the holidays, a fact most would envy this- but alas, Decades of viewing a colder but normal front yard does beckon a desire for a little snow on the holidays, better yet: snow you can abandon at your leisure, may be as satisfying as having the occasional visit from the grand kids. So we planned on our first boondocking trip during Thanksgiving up on the rim right off the 260. The plan was to spend several nights there while exploring forest road access for future summer boondocking trips up north.

Again, this is our first winter experience, and although it did not freeze, it did dip down to freezing for a short bit during the night. Our Beaver, was not quite as warm or cozy as it was when we went to bed. Apparently the Hurricane faulted out sometime in the night and stopped. Since all previous uses were problem free, I first thought "well- It's that time to do our first service" but I was able to clear the fault and it started up and ran for a bit. Al bet with a little miss from time to time, then the beep and a white poof of smoke and that pesky beep alarm. Off - On and it would start back up for a bit longer.

This game continued for about an hour and then cleared up and started running just fine again closer to noon. Fearing the Hurricane would fault out the next night of even slightly lower temps, just added to the lack of snow, and that the chance of a light rain vanished from the forecast. Not to mention the dark gloomy weather, we decided to pack up and head down to Saddle Mountain where Temps were more in the mid 70's during the day, and to meet up with potential new RV friends.

Once there, the Hurricane exhibited no more issues. It ran flawlessly, no huffing, no failures, and no white smoke. So I am guessing that the fuel was starting to gel, or some water was forming in the lines. It sure seemed like it was leaky fuel line sucking air into the mixture up there on the rim, but now. all was fine wit the Hurricane with the warmer climate. Cozy once again. Best sleep yet in the coach; our 9th trip out so far was totally enjoyable.

I then began to realize that 99% of our fuel comes from valley fuel stations, which may not yet (or may never) add winterizing fuel additives. So thus, I am searching for historical BAC posts regarding the best additives to use with our C-12 and Hurricane system. A bit of frustration without proper fuel for winter for sure, but now I need to consider adding fuel additives to keep it from gelling or separating so the Cozy can continue unabated should a a sudden desire to throw a snowball up north and run back down the hill ever peak an interest.

So I thought that this example of my experience would be food for thought for anyone searching for the same. and possibly give pause that really there may not be any mechanical issues with your heating system other than a simple change of temps.

Hoping you (did have) (are going to have) a happy holiday experience.

Doug Allman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
I agree with Joel as we hauled from Michigan to West Yellowstone, Mt on many occasions with our 1991 Contessa pulling trailer or truck with sleds on it. However that Beaver unit had more than it could generate for heat and we stayed in mediocre comfort even though I had put storms on the windows.

With -25 at altitude we used every source we had including several electric heaters to keep somewhat warm. I am sure the wet clothing and boots drying was not helping. The Contessa was not as bad as our pick up camper was when we would go up to Sault Soo Marie for the 500 mile snowmobile race as that had hoar frost, I think I used a different spelling back then, on the inside along the lower 12 inches of the walls. As Gerald would say at those younger years you could put up with what you will not now, and is why we go to Az in October and come home in April. MY mountain sled has set in our shop for the past 5 years. And if I can get my boys to haul it out on next trip I may fly up and enjoy 1-2 days max again knowing I have an escape route to the sun.

Two years ago heading to AZ right after Xmas with our 2004 Marquis we spent 2.5 hours at -15 going over the pass into Salt Lake, it did get a little frosty on the inside of the windshield over 50 mph but we finally got south far enough in Utah to pull in to a Walmart at 10 degrees and it stayed very warm. We made a solemn oath that we would move the coach in October after that trip.

Gerald has anything you need but he does not bottle it. "Stay below I-10 and you do not have to do anything".

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
I was born and raised in Syracuse NY and am no stranger to snow and cold.  At 17 I entered the Navy recruiting office and offered my services to Uncle Sam.  My only condition was that they try to keep me down south where there is no snow and cold is considered to be 60 and below.  They did as I asked, for the most part and I stayed 20 years.  Now in my second retirement my Wife wanted to go to Williamsburg VA for the Grand Illumination.  Second night out it went down to 25!  I had checked the HydroHot before we left and all was well.  Turned it to Furnace around 1900 to make sure we had heat.  Registers started spewing heat.  Next thing I notice is no more heat from registers and no hot water.  I go out to check and find that it had emptied itself of coolant all over the ground.  Luckily it was "only" one of the register supply hoses that gave out.  After a trip to Walmart for 8 gallons of coolant we at least have hot water now.  The heat pumps do not do a very good job below 35 as I confirmed that night!  The little space heaters from Walmart do a very nice job though!  I know long story to say that I agree with the stay below I-10 crowd but sometimes I must suck it up and do what I'm told!  Merry Christmas everyone!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
Good morning everyone, Dave is not a fan of cold weather because I had to work out in
extreme cold starting and repairing heavy equipment. Had a few interesting phone calls
snowbirds problems on the road heading south. Fuel mixed for the cold states number 1
& 2 is not what it used to be for travel below freezing. Startup on cold morning, Caterpillar
engine with Heui injection system. First cycle your key wait to start heater on and off
several times ( note: engine heater cycles on a timer and does not stay on long enough only
to crank your batteries down. ) use aux start battery to spin cold for start. After engine starts
this is very important let idle and do “[not]” put in high idle mode to hurry up to go. Reason Heui
Injection system including injectors operate off engine oil that is very cold and forcing cold
engine oil under very high pressure will cause problems. Your Caterpillar engine has a fail
Safe on the ECM called ( Cold Mode ) which will allow Engine to warm up to operate temperature
before going. Many do not understand why there engine has no power starting to drive and
reason is engine is still warming up and in cold mode yet. Last again, in cold temperatures
would suggest start up let Engine run at low idle only ( do not try to force cold oil with Heui
system in high idle ) if you have no power starting out engine is still in the cold mode. Wish
Everyone a merry Christmas and travel safe on the road. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:38:32 PM by Gerald Farris »
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett