Author Topic: Windshield Replacement  (Read 3342 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Windshield Replacement
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:18:09 AM »
Anyone know of a good glass company in central FL?  I have a windshield in a 2006 Monterey that needs to be replaced.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Windshield Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
RV Glass Solutions is a BAC Sponsor and nationwide. My experience with them has always been great.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Tom I agree with Steve RV Glass Solutions is the best.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Funk

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Tom, curious what caused the break in the window? Was it a rock or stress?  What location did it break, corner or in-between?  I ask because I too have a broken window in my 06 Monterey and am investigating what caused it before replacing it, again.

Thanks
Steve

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 02:37:35 AM »
I agree with Steve and Jerry.  RV Glass Solutions would be my first choice.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
Steve, our Monty developed a windshield crack starting along the curbside and it spread drastically over weeks while just parked on its pad it’s first winter.  I posted photos and dialogue regarding it years ago here, which a forum search may reveal if you’re interested. 

Monaco replaced the windshield in Harrisburg under warranty.  The tech said he’d seen many with factory improperly installed windshields.  RV Glass Solutions may very well be familiar with the issue and will rectify any seal and/or alignment issues during glass replacement.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
I have no idea how the crack was caused. The coach was parked on 12/5 no crack and when we returned from a cruise on 12/24 there was a crack in the upper left corner of the windshield as you face the coach.  The crack forms an arc from top to passenger side.
My insurance is through National General sold by Overland Insurance Services. National General uses Duncan Services to replace RV glass.  I agreed with this, thinking if there was a problem the insurance company picked their company to do the work.
Lucky for us we have a FL address so the deductible does not apply to FL policies for glass. Probably watch our rate go up.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 01:01:18 AM »
Make sure when you park for storage that the ground is level or at least even left to right or front to back and not low in any one corner.  Then dump the airbags so no one corner can settle from the inevitable air leak, and throw a body twist in that stresses the windshield.  The early (2005-2006) new one-piece design windshields were when mounting engineering and installation technique had yet to mature.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
I think Joel is very correct in that minor fluctuation of the coach body puts a lot of stress on the windshields. Case in point - our 2017 Entegra Cornerstone.
Parked coach at home beside coach bay outside and on level ground with 6" many years stable gravel stone lot area. Drivers side window shattered 1 week later.
Got off at Interstate exit and found to be wrong exit so we were going on across and back onto interstate on ramp when we saw and ran over curb median area. Pop went the top corner of the windshield.
Parked at friends in Ennis Mt that live in the Shining Mountians with parking area that is not 45' level. Let out jacks and could not get level so we decided to let front jacks down. Did this together moving both jacks and the windshield became a spider web with cracks in seconds. Multiple cracking started at the curve at the top of the each front corner and ran all the way down to the bottom. We did drive on to Seattle and back to Michigan with it in that condition with no issues however and then got replacement.

LEVEL surface is at minimum the answer to not tweaking the chassis and requiring a new windshield. (If over several years of Interstate or highway driving and the windshield is sand pitted, as told by RV windshield replacement company, it is reason to have replacement same as if broken windshield).