Author Topic: To Spare or not to Spare  (Read 8615 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: To Spare or not to Spare
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »

a TPMS is always a good idea - but it doesn't do much for you if you run over something and have a blow out.

As I wrote above, I had my first ever blowout.  It was an outside rear.  The only indication was an odd noise that didn't sound anything like a tire failure should sound like.  Oddly, the driving didn't change.  Everything felt completely normal.  We were on a CA 99 headed south to Bakersfield.  Pulling off didn't feel like a good choice.  I kept driving to the destination campground. 

A TPMS would have told me I had a tire with no air in it.  On our Beaver we had one of the early Pressure Pros.  It always took some fiddling like removing the sensors when parked to save the batteries.  I chose not to get another TPMS.  Maybe I should!
The following users thanked this post: Mark Beavin

Dale Walker

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »
Bill, I had a TPM system on my 99' Discovery, and hated the thing. The alarm would go off, stop, get out, check the pressure with a manual gauge to find out there was nothing wrong, finally unhooked the thing and drove without it. Never had a problem, but always worried. Until I bought these, valve caps from Accue-pressure. As you will see they are quite in expensive. I stop about every 2-3 hrs. for potty stops for me and the dog, and all you need do is walk around and inspect them.
http://www.accu-pressure.com/eShop/index.php
The following users thanked this post: Mark Beavin

Mike Tomas

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »

We were on a CA 99 headed south to Bakersfield

That'll do it! Ca-99 is really bad between Bakersfield and Modesto. I always found that stretch aggravating with all the clusters of trucks and crazy speeding cars on a twisty curvy and disheveled piece of highway. I always tried to avoid it.

Ah- As far as carrying a spare, Driving the Sat Trucks around Arizona for 30 years, I too, didn't have the space to carry a spare, so What I eventually came up with was to use roadside assistance and ask if they had my preferred tire, if not, I would buy a used tire for them to install to get me on my way. Then when it was convenient, I would order a new replacement and switch it out. Sure it would cost a little more (usually around $15-30 bucks) in the long run, but it really did solve the space savings and matching replacement issues surrounding blowouts on the highway.

Back then I kept standard white truck rims on the truck, they would mount the used tire on another white rim at the shop, and bring it out to replace the blowout, The would take my white rim back as an even trade. But with our beautiful aluminum rims, I'm probably going to still buy a used temporary tire if they don't have a direct replacement, but will need them to mount it on location.  Se a vida.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:24:35 PM by Mike Tomas »