Author Topic: Who has a slide out pantry? Was it standard on the Patriot models?  (Read 4904 times)

Mike Shumack

My coach does not have the "slide out" pantry. It looks like it did at one time (there are screw holes in the pantry ceiling ( i assume for the slide mechanism) and the shelfs currently installed are not professional looking - so I think previous owner replaced it with stationary shelving for some reason. And why would there be a side door to the pantry if not for a pull-out shelving system?

So I was thinking of having a pantry slideout made, but first I want to know what it is supposed to look like. I found one picture in a Patriot Brochure (not my floorplan) and it looks to be a "wire basket/shelf" style. Also, in the photo that coach has mirrors on the pantry wall (mine has two doors there). Did those mirrors swing open?

If I was to add a slide out it should be all wood. IMO.

So, my question is -- do you have a slide out pantry, and if so, do you like it, and is there anything about it you would change?
Did the 2005 Patriots come with a slideout pantry?

Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Who has a slide out pantry? Was it standard on the Patriot models?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
Mike,
We had a slide out pantry (the wire basket kind). Great idea but it doesn't hold much. I replaced it with wood shelves and better than tripled the storage space. We place the stuff we need on the road near the door so access isn't a problem when traveling. See http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,6564.msg47617.html#msg47617
BTW, I've got the slide baskets and mechanisms if you are interested.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
Our coach has the metal basket, slide-out pantry with the wall mirror and push-release door identical to your picture.  Of course, our model is a 2004 Marquis.

When we were looking at Beavers in 2012, I remember seeing a 2006 Patriot Thunder with (I think) a slide-out pantry that had a pantry access door where the mirror is.  I assumed the door was for easy pantry access when the slide was extended and the push-release door opening on the end provided pantry access when the slide was in.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:55:53 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
Your setup is very nice. The wood work and finishes are much nicer than what's in my coach now.

I appreciate the offer to acquire your wire basket setup, but if I go to a slide out pantry setup I want the wood look.

I see what you mean about losing some shelving space with a slide out. In order for the slide out shelving to fit through the end door it would need to be no wider than 6-1/2 inches. I will need to run that factoid past the wife.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
When we were looking at Beavers in 2012, I remember seeing a 2006 Patriot Thunder with (I think) a slide-out pantry that had a pantry access door where the mirror is.  I assumed the door was for easy pantry access when the slide was extended and the door provided pantry access when the slide was in.

On my 2005, the pantry cabinet is not part of the (kitchen) room slide. When the kitchen/room slide out is in (retracted) it blocks one of the double pantry doors. Maybe that is why there is an end door too. However,the pantry end door (and slide out shelving if equipped) would not be blocked whether the kitchen/room is in or out.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 10:58:04 PM »
Mike - I modified my earlier post due to my obviously confusing text.  In the middle of that post I was summoned outside to put things undercover because it's trying to rain here in Yuma.

We use the pantry for canned and bottled goods.  The pantry shelves are adjustable for height so taller bottles can be accommodated.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 01:11:45 AM »
Mike, we have the wire basket pull out pantry.  I don't think I would change anything about it.  We just have to remember to lock it down when traveling.  Come see it at anytime.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 04:00:27 AM »
Mike, Our Beaver has the wire basket slide out and the mirror where you have two doors. I would very much like to get rid of that mirror and add two doors, as the slide out now is so narrow it is not very useful. Just today, I was out hunting Beavers on RV Trader and I saw a 2005 Patriot that has the doors and wire slide. So dropping the mirror and adding the two doors must have been a running change. In 2006, Beaver moved the multi rocker switch at the right hand side of your doors (and our mirror) so the pantry doors could be made a bit wider (and more useful). If anyone has two cherry pantry doors w/Mappa burl inlay, send 'em my way!

Happy New Year!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »
Mike,
The original slide-out wire shelving was only wide enough for a maximum 3 1/2 inch diameter can or jar. A jar of peanut butter (approximately 4 inches wide) would not fit into the wire basket, plus the shelves were not adjustable for height. We had permanent shelves placed in our coach with adjustable height and sides.  Gained about 2 1/2 inches and were able to store much more in the pantry.  Our coach came with the two doors on the side and the end door, no mirror on the wall. This was the same for the model shown at the 2004 Homecoming in September, 2004.  Never saw one without the doors and the mirror on the wall, until your photo.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Keith Cooper

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
Mike, we have a little earlier coach (2000 PT) and it originally had the wire rack system. We had RV Outfitters in Bend (Jim Sizemore & Greg Fulton) replace it with individual wooden cabinet drawers
 mounted with slide out hardware. It more than tripled available storage.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 12:36:58 PM »
Mike, we have a little earlier coach (2000 PT) and it originally had the wire rack system. We had RV Outfitters in Bend (Jim Sizemore & Greg Fulton) replace it with individual wooden cabinet drawers
 mounted with slide out hardware. It more than tripled available storage.

That's what I was thinking Keith.

I have used a company ("Quick Drawers" https://quikdrawers.com/drawer-boxes/custom-solid-wood-drawers ) to make me custom kitchen drawer boxes for my home. I looked on their website and I can have a single solid-wood birch or maple drawer box made (49" T X 25"W x 6-1/2" D) for about $125. I may need to stain the wood to get a closer match to my cherry cabinets. Then I would install a couple of shelves in that drawer box and mount (sideways) in the pantry. I think it would look good and be nice and solid.

What kind of track setup does your pantry slideout have (two on bottom, one on top? etc.)? I think a couple of "bottom mount" drawer slides would work.