Author Topic: 2007 Beaver Contessa Tire PSIs  (Read 5449 times)

Ray Kaminsky

2007 Beaver Contessa Tire PSIs
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
We are getting 3 different PSI recommendations from Monaco, our respected RV dealer and Goodyear the tire manufacturer.  Monaco says 115 PSI front singles, 100 rear duals.  Dealer, who 4 point weighed coach, says 110 front singles, 105 rear duals.  Goodyear, based on weight chart from their website for our tire size, says 100 front single, 105 rear dual.   Which numbers should we trust?

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: 2007 Beaver Contessa Tire PSIs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
Tire manufacturers inflation chart is the best source and pretty consistant throughout the industry. http://www.rvsafety.com/ is a good source as is
 http://www.goodyear.com/rv/

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
Aside from going to the tire manufacture's site, which is the only authority, I'll tell you that 115 in the front sounds correct.  BTW, if you must error, error 5 pounds high rather tha 5 pounds low.  As for the rear, it depends if you have a tag axle.  I do and run all 6 rear wheels at 90 pounds.

Gil
2008 Contessa 42

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »
Ray,
If you have accurate weights on all tire locations, you use the tire manufacturer's load chart to set your tire pressure. You always use the heaviest tire (or duals) on any axle to determine the air pressure for that axle. If you are on the line as for weight at a specific pressure, you always go to the next higher pressure. Never under inflate you tires, because overinflated tires ride a little rough, but underinflated tires BLOWOUT.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
At the Harrisburg rally last year I bought tires from the Bob Dickman owned Les Schwab in Junction City.  They promote themselves as motorhome tire experts.  And, even though i was promised an appointment, I had to wait an hour or so behind other rigs with the same appointment!

When I asked how much air they intended to put in my new Michelins I was told the coach data plate required 125 psi.  They had just given me the Michelin book with the chart in it.  I pointed out where my coach fell on their chart and got nowhere.  The manager of the store got involved and lectured me about tire safety and then stated that he would accept nothing less that the Beaver data plate figure of 125 psi!  It was his view that the chart figures were not safe.

Apparently some customer had a problem of some sort and got a lawyer involved.  They couldn't care how the coach rode or how the tires would wear!  They apparently had to be sure that it would be someone else's fault!  Which would be me, because I went against the manager's very strong advice to adhere to the data plate.

I paid my bill and drove one and a half blocks.  I stopped and let out enough air to match the Michelin chart which is about 5 pounds less that the chart I had for my old Goodyears.