Author Topic: Fuel filter choice  (Read 4383 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Fuel filter choice
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:01:10 PM »
I've seen the recommendations to use cat filters  I'm at Alliance today for LOF  Tech here told me he recommends Wix instead of cat fuel filters because cat is 5 micron and the Wix is 2 micron,a more efficient  cheaper, easier to get filter. He said he has taken them apart and the quality difference is obvious. So what is it?  Cat or Wix?  Thoughts?  Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
Re: Fuel filter choice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
I'd have that mechanic open one of them up for your own inspection, but just recently talking to Dave Atheron, I'd say stick with CAT this oil change and then do the research on the WIX. There's no harm with the CAT filter, but potentially with the WIX because it's a unknown.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
I'd have that mechanic open one of them up for your own inspection, but just recently talking to Dave Atheron, I'd say stick with CAT this oil change and then do the research on the WIX. There's no harm with the CAT filter, but potentially with the WIX because it's a unknown.
[/quote
Thanks. I guess I should have added that I have my own cat filters and told home to put them on. Just curious at this point.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
Wix and Napa are good filters. But I just stick with CAT.
Interestingly, according the CAT publication "Application and Installation Guide, Diesel Fuels & Diesel Fuel System", CAT says they do not specify filters by micron ratings". I wonder where the mechanic is hearing that the CAT filter is 10 micron. The publication says that "As a rule, Caterpillar fuel filter media (paper) is about 3 microns nominal, 20 microns absolute". Furthermore, it says the specs for primary fule system elements is 10 Micron Nominal Filtration".

The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
Jerry,
It does not make a lot of difference what brand of fuel filter you use for the primary fuel filter, but always use a Cat secondary filter. The "mechanic" that you are talking to has some creditability issues.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
Jerry,
It does not make a lot of difference what brand of fuel filter you use for the primary fuel filter, but always use a Cat secondary filter. The "mechanic" that you are talking to has some creditability issues.

Gerald
That’s what I told them. Secondary filter was to be cat which I supplied and the others I didn’t really care. Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Jerry thank you, reason many parts houses push other brand products because it is the lack
of understanding what type of engine they are dealing with in . The Caterpillar 2 micron 1R-0751
fuel filter is designed for all Caterpillar Heui injection systems to provide trouble free operation.
The reason we use 2 micron fuel filter only because engine has built in fail safe mode set up in
engine ECM to derate engine when fuel filter useful life is used. Other brand fuel filters with higher
Micron rating remove Caterpillar fail safe mode and allow the fuel filter fines to enter the fuel rail
and will cause injector failure over service periods. Caterpillar 2 micron fuel filters set up a 5 psi
resistance of fuel flow when installed new, when filter comes to end of life it sets up a 10 psi
resistance or back pressure that will trigger amber lamp and at 13 psi will derate engine power
down to 34 %. Indicating time to replace fuel filter. Other brand fuel filters with higher micron
Rating will not do this and the Caterpillar fail safe mode has been removed. Fuel filter 1R-0751
Used in all Caterpillar 3126 up to Cat C-9 engines, C-12 and up 1R-0749 fuel filters.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jerry Emert, Mike Tomas

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »
Jerry thank you, reason many parts houses push other brand products because it is the lack
of understanding what type of engine they are dealing with in . The Caterpillar 2 micron 1R-0751
fuel filter is designed for all Caterpillar Heui injection systems to provide trouble free operation.
The reason we use 2 micron fuel filter only because engine has built in fail safe mode set up in
engine ECM to derate engine when fuel filter useful life is used. Other brand fuel filters with higher
Micron rating remove Caterpillar fail safe mode and allow the fuel filter fines to enter the fuel rail
and will cause injector failure over service periods. Caterpillar 2 micron fuel filters set up a 5 psi
resistance of fuel flow when installed new, when filter comes to end of life it sets up a 10 psi
resistance or back pressure that will trigger amber lamp and at 13 psi will derate engine power
down to 34 %. Indicating time to replace fuel filter. Other brand fuel filters with higher micron
Rating will not do this and the Caterpillar fail safe mode has been removed. Fuel filter 1R-0751
Used in all Caterpillar 3126 up to Cat C-9 engines, C-12 and up 1R-0749 fuel filters.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
Thanks Dave.  I have 1R-0749s on hand and gave them one to install.  They did put on a primary without a clear fuel bowl on the bottom but they assured me that this one is the same.  It still has a drain valve.  I appreciate you sharing your expertise with all of us!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »
Dave
       What would be the shelf life of the CAT fuel filters?

Thanks      Larry Dedrick
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 06:13:33 AM »
Larry, if fuel filter in sealed box and plastic cap lid in place, the makeup of filter paper there is
not any shelf life date to be used. Think if you have a filter in your motorhome compartment
and is rolling around loose or top opening cap removed and out of shipping box, than the fuel
Filter has been exposed to the elements should not be used. Note: being a 2 micron dust coating
Inside a open filter would be enough ruin filter. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
I carry a spare fuel filter in my coach but it is sealed in plastic. I used my wife's food vacuum sealer. It prevents moisture and dirt from contaminating the filter while in storage.
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 03:11:36 AM »
I am a Donaldson believer.  We run them at work on a fleet of units.  All the filters are built to maintain factory spec, and are built at a lower cost.  I have crossed all my filters to Donaldson, and have had great luck.