Author Topic: Mice, the little rodents  (Read 8593 times)

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
Mice, the little rodents
« on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:02 AM »
We have been M/H since the early 90's, never had a mouse problem, we winterized the coach mid Oct. Left to go to redding, only to find we have mice, tons of them. caught 7 of them, cleaned everything, each drawer, cupboards, under bed, all bays, never found a real nest. But in the kitchen overhead electric light there is insulation in the plastic lens cover.  Styrofoam pellets. Question 1:  is this the normal insulation in the Beaver roof?   Question 2: how would you go about removing the critters? besides driving to the East coast and leaving it there till late spring. Dale
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

Roy C Tyler

Re: Mice, the little rodents
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:00:15 AM »
We had one mouse in our last motorhome.  When we winterized it, we put out several dryer sheets all around inside the coach. Never had another problem and the coach smelled good.  They don't like the smell.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
There are as many suggestions as there are mice, but dryer sheets adroitly placed can keep them away.  A time-tested option I’ve used since growing up on and managing our old farm, is a plain mouse trap baited with half a filbert.  But then who listens to a fellow off a nut farm?

Be sure you check the top and crannies of your engine for nests... they’re a fire hazard.  And check they haven’t chewed any wiring.

I don’t recall encountering styrofoam insulation in pelleted form anywhere onboard, much less over the 120v fluorescent light or in the roof.  But foam sheets are up there.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:14:13 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
We've had some luck with the dryer sheets, and a couple years ago I tried using "Fresh Cab" which I got at ACE.  The Fresh Cab seemed to do the best job.  I placed it in several locations in the basement as well as closets, etc inside the coach.  Also used the good ole fashion mouse trap.  After about a summer we had gotten rid of the mice.  I think.  Might be worth a try using the Fresh Cab.

A lot depends on where you store the coach, ie. forested area, hay field, etc.

Good luck.

Bill
Now in SOB  03 Country Coach Allure, 32'

Dale Walker

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:15:38 PM »
So sorry to hear about your mouse problem. They are an on going problem with RV's. The very first thing to do is make sure there are no food scraps left in the house. I have been having pretty good luck with leaving it plugged in and using air freshener plugs in's they last a long time, I also bought some plug in lights from Victor, that are supposed to keep rodents out. I have put regular mouse traps baited with cheese just to check that they are gone. So far, so good. By the way, my coach is parked in a barn on a dirt floor. I hate the dirt floor but it is what it is. I also tried Zest deodorant soap, all they did was eat it!! LOL!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:29:01 AM by Dale Walker »

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
Thanks to all who responded, dryer sheets sound. We have been in this building going on 6 years, first mice ever.  What I,m scared they have taken up residency in the ceiling between the florescent light fixture and the roof vent.  Do I dare remove either one to look for the nest.  There is just a lot of pellets, at least a gallon can worth.  The engine compartment is clean.
Dale Soule'

Russ Mann

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
Hi Dale,
Mice can drive you nuts, I hope the seven you caught were the Magnificent Seven and there aren't any more. I've had good luck with peppermint oil on cotton balls. I suggest removing the air conditioning/heater vents from the ceiling and placing one ball there. I think I'd also put one where the 18" fluorescent lights are. The only problem with that is it will probably chase them from the ceiling to somewhere else but they will be easier to trap. In my experience the only real solution is to trap them and keep trapping until none show up.

Warren Sandberg

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:55 PM »
I too, use Fresh Cab.  Also peppermint oil on cotton balls.  Never a mouse problem.  What I do is use empty, completely cleaned mixed nut cans with the plastic lids.  Poke several holes in the lid and put the Fresh Cab pouch inside the can.   Place some in storage bays and one near each tire on the ground.  Mice can climb up the tires (or so they say) to get to the MH undercarriage.  I also place one in the engine bay and one in the fuse/relay locker near the front driver's wheel.  Never hurts to put out a couple of the sticky traps on the floor inside in case they get by your Maginot Line.

OP, with that many critters caught, I would assume the worst that there is a nest somewhere.  Especially, if you have not been in the coach for some time before you discovered the mice.  Pay a professional to make sure they are gone.  As someone above stated, if they chew wiring, you could face big bucks in damages.  A friend had found that mice chewed up the wiring harness on his one year old pickup and it cost over $3,000 to repair.  He was fortunate that his insurance covered the cost, but what a mess.   

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
I've found good old fashion mouse traps baited with peanut butter work best but nut all mouse traps work well i have a couple that seem to have a hair trigger with good results.
I haven't had any problems lately but I've been told Irish spring soap cut into small strips and strategicly placed work.

the roof is constructed from the inside to out as follows , hull liner(white carpet) a layer of 1/4 inch lauan plywood, 3 or 4 inches of white strofoam blocking another layer of plywood and another layer of strofoam shaped to create the roof curve topped with the fiberglass outer layer.
and of course the aluminum frame is sandwiched in there as well.

The foam pellets your are finding are small pieces of the foam which have been either chewed off the foam board or have just come free of the foam board through deterioration (age)

With the number of mice you have caught there must be a nest some where
I would certainly drop the ceiling light for a look see.
check under the bathroom cabinet(false floor) and under the kitchen cabinet, I've also found them in the Black/grey water cabinet
the mice like to use the run ways under the cabinets to move around i bet you'l find more poop down there

Remember they are nocturnal and like to travel along the walls they are also attracked to anywhere there is a heat source
so check your inverter area as it produces heat almost any time your plugged in(battery charging)

as you already know nice are no laughing matter and can do a lot of damage my best advice is set a trap line and good luck

Eric 
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
First time in 20 years!  We have a mouse or two in the RV!  Spent the morning reading about what to do.

1.  Tried and true spring traps.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Easy-Mouse-Trap-Pack/dp/B000HJ79Y4/ref=sr_1_4_acs_osp_osp18-d8e031d5_cov_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1550950721&sr=1-4-acs&keywords=victor+mouse+trap&tag=thewire06oa-20&ascsubtag=d8e031d5-c534-4cb2-b201-cdcb525fe63f&linkCode=oas&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.d8e031d5-c534-4cb2-b201-cdcb525fe63f&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&pf_rd_r=CFY5Y8W30M0S7TK018CB&pd_rd_wg=45IuJ&pd_rd_r=79a13ed3-c49a-49a9-aba0-fe3dc6a9253f&pd_rd_w=cspTl&pf_rd_p=7f6b8bb9-631f-46f6-b8ad-496a9af123d5&creativeASIN=B000HJ79Y4&pd_rd_w=cspTl&pf_rd_r=CFY5Y8W30M0S7TK018CB&pd_rd_i=B000HJ79Y4&pd_rd_r=79a13ed3-c49a-49a9-aba0-fe3dc6a9253f&pf_rd_p=7f6b8bb9-631f-46f6-b8ad-496a9af123d5&pd_rd_wg=45IuJ

2.   A ring of repellent on the ground around the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Rodent-Repellent-Granule-LB/dp/B077VLKY68/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1550950608&sr=1-4&keywords=tomcat+mouse+repellent

3.   Bait stations outside, hidden behind the tires. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Killer-Resistant-Refillable-Station/dp/B01N6O3IB3/ref=pd_bxgy_3/137-1795145-5881314?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N6O3IB3&pd_rd_r=64857bdc-37a2-11e9-9e49-b9c377d1057c&pd_rd_w=Aq8oP&pd_rd_wg=3DfVx&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=MK431M9J57W8ER7Y4FHZ&psc=1&refRID=MK431M9J57W8ER7Y4FHZ

Dryer sheets may work, but one guy found his mice making a nest in the dryer sheets!  There are some very entertaining YouTubes about tricking mice to fall into a bucket. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »
If you are easily bored, I’d avoid reading the diatribe herein, and move on to the next thread.  I get a bit long winded.

The older version of the Victor M023 trap worked well for over a half century in our old farm house.  Then for some reason they changed the spiked bait holder to a broad toothed style so our tried-and-true half filbert was difficult to load.  As the 50 year old traps wore out, for our suburban home I was forced to modify the newer version so it would take a filbert without splitting the nut.  Some cheap knock-off traps have the old spike baitholder, but have trip mechanisms I’m not fond of.  Victor’s rat traps still use spike bait holders though.  The mouse version must be to hold peanut butter better. http://www.victorpest.com/victor-metal-pedal-mouse-trap-bm154-24   Too many times the critter made off with the peanut butter unscathed when I tried it.  Sans filbert availability, half an almond or walnut works almost as well.

The model with a broad yellow step plate is likely more for peanut butter also.  I prefer the firmly spike-held half filbert so the mouse has to pull harder on the bait.  He’s forced to position himself for traction, resulting in fewer “misses”... his brain can’t trigger other reaction muscles quickly enough for him to move in the micro-second that the trigger arm lets go.  Also, placing the trap with a wall along one side forces the pest into a more vulnerable stance.

I know, too much information.  It’s just that 47 years on a farm breeds necessary invention, and details matter.  And oh yes, it was a filbert (aka “hazelnut”) farm.  Nowadays I’m forced to use long-nosed pliers to make today’s broad-toothed bait holder more amenable to accepting the nut, but it’s still not as easy to use as the old style.  Now I have to carefully squeeze/nudge a half nut under and into the holder;  an undried, moister nut doesn’t split as easily, but of course stores won’t have fresh undried nuts.

Once again, I know:  “Joel, you need to get a life Dude!”

I’ve tried other types of traps, and won’t use poisons obviously because one ends up with a smelly body somewhere inaccessible in the house (or coach).  Our “resident” 2 week traveling companion chinchilla or packrat or whatever it was in 2016 did use parts of a dryer sheet to nest in, so so much for that idea. He had few other nest material options, being trapped in our bay.  I do stuff dryer sheets around the power cord, and sewer and hose openings, though, to at least discourage small vermin.

When you catch one, usually the male of a pair, you hope you catch it’s mate before she’s nursed a nest full to maturity.  Otherwise you’ll be emptying and resetting traps for a week or a month.  On the farm it wasn’t uncommon to get 6 mice in succession in the same trap over 2 days.  I went to placing two traps in the same spot.  On rare occasion a mouse got half-caught (my apologies here to the squeamish), and absconded with the entire trap to some remote inner wall where it likely expired.  To prevent the double whammy of smelly body and lost trap, I went to installing a short wire on the traps, the other end secured via a simple end loop to a cup hook in nearby wood.  I recommend that in an RV.  And if you catch a slew of them, pop your bedroom/wardrobe floor engine access panels and examine your engine for a nest. 
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
I got one!  It was about 3 am in a drawer under my bed!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 05:36:38 PM »
Woohoo.  Second one is now deceased.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »
did you release them from there coffin and reset or do you think you got both? Curious?
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 01:09:47 AM »
Thanks to all, the dryer sheets, peppermint oil on cotton balls seem to work well ,  sticky traps worked very well, the old Victor traps worked extremely well.  13 all in total.  No more sign of the little critters, everything is clean and ready to go.  we now have stuff around the tires.  Thanks to all....
Dale Soule'