Author Topic: Wiper Blade  (Read 4135 times)

Dave Porter

Wiper Blade
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
Hi all!  We have a new to us 2005 Beaver Monterey and had new wiper blades installed as part of our annual service.  At road speed, the driver side blade "thumps" against the front window sealing bead on the lower left hand side of the window.  On HI wiper speed, the blade "thumps" really hard on the bead making a bit of a racket.  At LO speed it still "thumps", just not a loud and violent.  Sitting at a traffic signal, everything behaves normally.  So the first thought is maybe I got the wrong size blade installed.  We now are the proud owner of a 28" blade.  As I use the left edge of the blade as a lane centering aid, I really don't believe the blades are too long as my centering seems to be ontrack.  So what caused the blade replacement to begin with was what seemed to be a tear...maybe an inch long...on the lower edge of the old blade on the drivers side.  I'm guessing if I made a slight alteration to the existing blade, the noise may disappear.  

So you experienced guys, what are your thoughts?  Should i look for a shorter blade?  Is a 28" blade the correct size? Should I just get out the old x-acto knife and do a little trimming?  Or is there something else I may be missing?

Many thanks!

Dave
2005 Beaver Monterey

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Wiper Blade
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:23 AM »
The whole arm may have been removed to replace the blade.  If the arm was replaced one notch off, the arm may move down a bit, and cause it to contact the window moulding.  You may want to pry off the arm, and move it up one notch to see if that solves the problem.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Wiper Blade
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
Larry is right, Dave.  Our passenger side arm was off kilter when the coach was new, slightly noticeable when the wipers were at rest.  But you don't know anything is really haywire until it rains.  Your driver's side arm is probably off one cog, and the old blade likely got torn from wear, rubbing over the window moulding.  Don't let that happen to your new one.

I suppose it's feasible also that the base for that wiper arm is mounted out of whack to the front cap, or perhaps it has loose mounting attachments, and everything needs squaring back up and tightened.  

The blades on our '06 Monterey are 31 1/2" on a one piece windshield.

-Joel
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:59:05 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat