Author Topic: Magnum chassis service  (Read 2779 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Magnum chassis service
« on: February 26, 2019, 03:31:44 AM »
I would like to get my chassis looked at for preventive maintenance.  Where are the service experts for my magnum chassis?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

Re: Magnum chassis service
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
Fred, BAC has a Service Provider's Guide http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5250.0.html
I don't know if you will find a specific shop with a guy that knows everything about the Magnum chassis. But any "good" heavy truck shop should not have a problem working on it. A chassis is a chassis. If you want to have your air bag height set, or an alignment, or something that has specific settings, I would get the specs and give them to shop at the start of the job.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
Thanks Mike! Great info!
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
Fred,
I do not know what you mean by the term "preventive maintenance" other than the normal lube, fluid, and filter changes, but if it is a ride or handling issue that you are addressing, Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass Oregon is the most experienced shop that I know of with your chassis.

Gerald

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:47:16 AM »
Lets just say that from a guy that has had 3 coach chassis and completed work on all of them, Gillig 1991, Roadmaster 2004 and Spartan Reco Granning 2017 that a chassis is not just a chassis in numerous differing ways.
Just for starters Gillig and Roadmaster had 10 shocks while the Reco Granning has 6 shocks even though it is over 24000 lbs capacity more than the other two. Previous two were straight front axles and last is an IFS front axle. These are just the beginning of the differences so getting the correct shop can be a major factor on getting yours to handle and be serviced correctly.
IMHO the more your shop is familiar with your chassis the better service they can perform to the specifications your chassis requires.
In numerous ways it is like saying I am a general diesel mechanic, but do not have the CAT or CUMMINS certifications.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 03:47:03 AM »
Fred,
I do not know what you mean by the term "preventive maintenance" other than the normal lube, fluid, and filter changes, but if it is a ride or handling issue that you are addressing, Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass Oregon is the most experienced shop that I know of with your chassis.

Gerald

Gerald, “Preventive Maintenance” is an Army term. Spent a lot of time doing it in the motor pool ensuring equipment was in tip top shape for mission support. Would love to visit Oregon sometime in the future.... Bend is about 1900 miles away.
Fred & Cindy

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:55 AM »
Fred,
If you take your coach to a good chassis shop for annual serivce, most will have a check list that effectively is the PM list. Probably cheaper than having a stand-alone PM done. See attached for example of what my shop does.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp