Author Topic: Broken basement door latch  (Read 2909 times)

Bill Staley

Broken basement door latch
« on: March 07, 2019, 04:39:12 AM »
Went out to drain the tanks tonight and when I went to open the basement door, the latch handle came off in my hand.  Now I have 2 problems. 
First, how do I gen the door open?  And second, where do I get a replacement latch?  And of course the tanks need to be drained.

Anyone have any ideas on either?  Found posts that mention where I might get a replacement.  But didn't see anyone that had actually bought one.

Coach is an '05 Patriot Thunder Richmond 42' .

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Broken basement door latch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:35 AM »
Assuming its a Trimark latch and handle. That is what is on our 2005 coach. When I needed a replacement, I got it from NWRVSupply. It its a power lock, make sure you get one with the plunger and the electrical hook up.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
Bill, To open the door, you need to pull on the two aluminum rods that link the handle to the latches at the door frame. I could write a million words on how to do this, but the best way is to just take apart a working latch and figure it out. I had to do the same when my keyless system locked all but the wet bay door (I had it open). The keyless actuator had jammed in the closed position and I couldn't open any basement door. By working the key lock and aluminum rods I was able to open all but one door. BCS replaced all the actuators for me last fall. Not fun when you're on the road! Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Staley

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:37:52 PM »
Thanks.  The problem is that the door is the wet bay door.  I can't figure any way to get to the rods.  I think I am going to have to destroy the lock.  Probably use a drill and/or Dremel.  Hate to do it but have to get the door open.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
Bill,
Assuming you can't remove the opening handle to access the rods, can you get the sewer line access port open in the bay floor and possibly get your arm in far enough to open the latches on either side of the door?
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Staley

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »
That is a great idea.  Problem is that we are hooked to the sewer and I can't get the hose disconnected.  I'm headed out shortly to begin deconstructing the latch,,, :o

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:11:05 PM »
Pics before during and after would be nice?  I live in fear of that happening again.  Happened once and I could just reach the latch itself from an open bay next to it.  No idea how I would deconstruct, as you say, the lock.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »
The chrome door latch mounts to the door with only one nut; the way it works is that the nut pulls the latch to the backing plate, 'sandwiching' the metal door in between. IF the nut is not too tight, you MIGHT be able to tap the edge of the latch with a hammer and work it down until the hole in the door is exposed, then work the latch until you can get it out. Might protect the paint with some blue painters tape first.  The guy at BCS said he opened the one door on my coach using a long screwdriver to push the spring loaded catches back until the door opened.
525 hp C13

Bill Staley

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
Bill, Actually that is what I was able to do,except I used a file.  Felt REALLY lucky.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
Yea! I had to replace a lock cylinder (or two) on mine (broke key off) and Trimark was very helpful, if you are in need of parts.
525 hp C13