Author Topic: Fuel sending unit  (Read 6120 times)

Robert Wilson

Fuel sending unit
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:53 AM »
I wonder if anybody can help with info, 05 Monterrey the fuel gage is pegged to full. I have replaced the gage with a new one from northwest supply the same outcome still showing full I know the tank is half full. Any help ?
Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel sending unit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:33:56 AM »
To properly diagnose a fuel gauge, you disconnect the wire at the tank unit from the dash gauge and connect it to a rheostat. As you vary the resistance with the rheostat the dash gauge will read from full with an open circuit to empty with the required resistance. If you know the specified resistance for different readings on the dash gauge you can determine that everything in the gauge system is operating properly except the tank unit. So if you have an inaccurate gauge and everything else checks out, you have a bad tank unit.

Usually, but not always, the dash gauge and wiring are OK if the gauge reads full with the wire at the tank unit disconnected, and empty with it grounded.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:10:33 AM »
Your apparent open circuit would lead me to first check all wiring and connection integrity between the guage and the tank.  That possibility absolved, the tank unit is about the only thing left.  

As a subnote, last year, after a lifetime of often difficult wiring diagnostic adventures, I broke down and bought a Sperry Lan Tracker, model ET4220L, at either Lowe's or Home Depot, I can't recall.  It is a dandy device that allows me to check continuity in long circuitous wire runs with relative ease;  it is a two-piece setup where one part sends a signal from a distant wire end, and the other part measures the existence and degree of signal at the other end.  It works with AC, DC, coax cable, or whatever (I used it to identify which TV coax, in a junction bundle of 7, came from which room in our house).  It would be nice to have in your situation, and it probably wouldn't be the only time you'd ever use it.  There are other brands and variations out there, but I liked the Sperry's compact convenience and reputation. ;)

-Joel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:24:16 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wilson

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Is there a access panel to the fuel Gage sending unit I hope some knows sure don't want to drop the tank..

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
Robert,
There is no access door to access the fuel sending unit on your coach. I can not say if you will have to remove the tank or not since I have never replaced a fuel sending unit on a 05 Monterey.

You can call Beaver Coach Sales or alliance Coach for a price quote on replacing the tank unit, and they should be able to tell you if the tank unit is replaceable without tank removal.

Gerald

Robert Wilson

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
Gerald thanks for the info I will give beaver coach sales a call.