Author Topic: Aladdin  (Read 6657 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Aladdin
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »
We have the 07 and our Aladdin system is not reading tanks well.  Unless it is full the fresh tank reads empty.  When full it reads 40 gallons.
The Grey tank reads 70% regardless.
The Black tank reads empty until it is half full.  It will then read 10 gallons and later half.  This is the Teckma brand with the buttons on the wall. If it suddenly turns red it wont flush at all.
The Aladdin manual says no recalibration is necessary and we are locked out of set up mode unless we take it to a shop.
Any suggestions?  Other similar threads on this forum have suggested Silverleaf but not which version.  Opinions?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:37:51 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
Have you tried the 'Aladdin Reset' switch? Mine is above driver's head. You might find the tank module, mine is on pass side in compartment ahead of drive axle. Might pull the RJ-11 connectors in and out of the jacks on the module a few times. As for being locked out, in the Aladdin manual, there is a 'code' that should let you in, unless someone has changed it and not documented the change. I don't think I would attempt a re-cal, as you have to empty then refill your tanks. I had the tank module fail two summers ago; dealer in Ore where we bought the coach replaced the module (used) under our extended warranty. Instead of calibrating the sensors, the apes just drilled a hole high up on the tank and waited till water ran out. When I was told that.......! We did look into the Silverleaf option; About $5K to replicate all the Aladdin functions. When my ship comes in!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »
If the rest of your Aladdin system is working ok, why not look at the See Level tank monitor system?   https://www.garnetinstruments.com/product/709p3-seelevel-tank-monitor/     

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Keith,

Somewhere I still have an Aladdin book with the universal code.  Are you sure you are locked out?
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 12:37:31 AM »
I think the code is 1218?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Bill Lampkin, the reset is only in case of system siezing and needing a reboot ....right?   That is what the manual says but isnt specific about what that means.  Did you use it and was it successful?
Bill Sprague,  I was told at BCS when we bought this coach that the Aladdin worked fine and they strongly suggested all owners stey out of 'Set Up mode' because it is easily messed up.  The manual suggests the same thing.  I would want to know alot more before trying it.
Joel, thanks but are all models the same code?
Interestingly I did find the modules and the one for the tanks and did disconnect the phone cables.  The module is talking to the monitor but giving bad info.  Perhaps a new module? 

Silverleaf is great but 5K is over my head too.  My ship would need to come in with a load of lottery tickets!  LOL

Thanks all
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
Keith, I've done the reboot using the switch a couple of times, didn't do anything bad, nor did it fix anything. As for getting into the 'set up' mode, no tricks there either; I did check the gas tank level and corrected that value, all still works. Just gotta pay attention, and, write down the existing value/configuration before you change anything. The factory code is the same for all Aladdin, unless someone has changed it.  Replacement tank modules are not available, you have to go to an RV salvage yard. Wouldn't you know it, I can't remember where I found my replacement module. New tank sensors are still available. 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bob Bulot

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
Just want to add my vote to Roy’s for the See Level system.  I had it installed at Gillette last summer when my Aladdin tank sensors started spreading lies.   Although the See level system can be connected to your Aladdin display, I opted to go with the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone, which is a lot more convenient.  The system also has a button display that replaced my Aladdin display in the service bay.  It has worked flawlessly since installation. 

George Harwell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
If you need tank sensors BCS may have them. Another source is CATCON Products Inc. Their part number is 500-10050-07.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:20 PM »
See if Visone has used modules on hand   https://rvparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/search.pl?

It may be that someone can repair modules.
Try  https://mastertechrv.com/

or   https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/abs-modules/

But it sounds to me more like the issue is simply with several plugged or mineralized sensors.  A bad module typically provides only dashed lines onscreen.  BCS replaced our black sensor easy enough, but sensors can be behind difficult to remove panels or otherwise be hard to access.  A SeeLevel option is a valid one and gets around the future plugged sensor problem, but making sure current Catcon ones never sit dry or in an unflushed tank is good preventive maintenance.

Catcons sense the weight/pressure of liquid above them, but “stuff” can interfere with that accuracy if it dries and adheres inside the device’s port. 
https://www.shop.catconproducts.com/MicroPulse-Level-Sensor-part-500-10050-07-500-10050-07.htm;jsessionid=BF3B3415707C3591DF9C1E80E786E17B.p3plqscsfapp001

I’m not sure they can be rejuvenated by removal and cleaning, as that’s not an option I’ve heard of.  For what they are they’re not cheap, so shop around.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:39:32 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »
We have the 07 and our Aladdin system is not reading tanks well.  Unless it is full the fresh tank reads empty.  When full it reads 40 gallons.
The Grey tank reads 70% regardless.
The Black tank reads empty until it is half full.  It will then read 10 gallons and later half.  This is the Teckma brand with the buttons on the wall. If it suddenly turns red it wont flush at all.
The Aladdin manual says no recalibration is necessary and we are locked out of set up mode unless we take it to a shop.
Any suggestions?  Other similar threads on this forum have suggested Silverleaf but not which version.  Opinions?

I had bad tank sensors (Aladdin system) and got replacements here. https://www.catconproducts.com/RV-sensor.html

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »
Mike
The sensor on the link you mentioned looks right.  I guess I could try and hope for a good result.  What symptoms did you see prior to replacement?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »
My Fresh Water tank was reading something like 20% (some number) regardless of how much actual water was in the tank.
My Gray tank always read empty. I swapped the cables at the Aladdin sensor module between Gray and Black to be sure the problem was not in the wiring or with the module. Once I determined the problem was the sensors, I bought two (all tanks uses the same sensor) and installed. Everything reads correctly now.

BTW - this is the sensor Joel linked to in his post - so he was first :)

Gene Brown

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
I have a 2006 Monterey. The Aladdin monitor has become very dim. How can I restore its original brightness?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Just want to add my vote to Roy’s for the See Level system.  I had it installed at Gillette last summer when my Aladdin tank sensors started spreading lies.   Although the See level system can be connected to your Aladdin display, I opted to go with the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone, which is a lot more convenient.  The system also has a button display that replaced my Aladdin display in the service bay.  It has worked flawlessly since installation.

A second vote from me. Had ours installed at Gillette in 2014, so 5 years ago. Has performed flawlessly. We opted for the one that interfaces with the Aladdin.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad