Author Topic: Icemaker drain valve  (Read 2574 times)

Jason Worman

Icemaker drain valve
« on: May 10, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Hi All,

Have gotten around to getting icemaker up and running and found icemaker drain valve. What does this do and should it be opened or closed when icemaker is running? It is the original Dometic 1070 ice maker. Thanks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Icemaker drain valve
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
Jason, I've never seen a drain valve on an icemaker, and we have had Dometic fridges on one rv or another for 30 years. Not that I can't learn something new, but.....
Are you sure the valve is not actually the fresh water supply to the IM? The fresh water supply is 1/4" tubing.
The only 'drain line' I know of on a Dometic is the line that drains the condensate from the fins on the inside of the food compartment. No valve on that line (3/8" or 1/2" if I recall). 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 11:51:35 PM »
There are two brass  valves, one says water shut off and further down the line the second valve says ice maker drain. Strange

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:44 AM »
Could be to drain the fresh water line to the IM for winterizing. Brass valves, too expensive for OEM, previous owner may have put the valve in.
525 hp C13

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:54:36 AM »
Bill,

It sounds reasonable. The appliance guy took a look at it and thinks the valve is to drian the line for winterizing the coach. He said normally the valve should remain closed during regular operation. No ice forming yet in maker so will see what happens.

Jason

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 01:15:15 AM »
Jason, It might take a while to get your first batch of ice, the freezer has to be very cold, this triggers a snap switch in the icemaker that starts the water flow and icemaking cycle. You'll hear the ice dump into the bin, I wouldn't open the freezer door until you hear it dumping ice. And throw away the first few batches of ice while the system cleans itself.
525 hp C13

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 04:24:00 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the help today

Jason