Author Topic: Valid compressor  (Read 2413 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Valid compressor
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:33:01 AM »
The compressor on our Valid system has seized up again.  This one is the HWH replacement for Valid made by Thomas.  I checked what I think was the power wire and there is power to the compressor so it seems it is shot. 
I still have the original from Valid so I took it apart.  The reason it seized up is clear.  There is rust through the piston and into the armature and all into the brushes and bell.  The main bearing is frozen. 
My reason for this post is to call attention to this.  It is silly to put a compressor out in the rain or water from the road but to do it to an unsealed motor?
I would post pics if I could get them small enough.  Can't yet.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Valid compressor
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:45:01 AM »
I don’t know if it’s available in other operating system app stores, but after trying numerous other resizing apps I can endorse the one I now use on my Apple devices:  “Image Compress & Resize - Easy Simple Max15 Free” in the App Store.

Joel

👌Addendum:  One big reason I use the app is I can take a photo with my tablet via the app itself, resize it in seconds on the spot down to just less than 300kb., and immediately attach it to my Forum post.  That makes it easier than other methods I used to use for Forum and email purposes.  It does take some minimal familiarization time and practice, but that’s an investment well worthwhile.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:24:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Bob Stone

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
Keith,
Access photos with Paint and resize by 50% a couple of times.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:40:51 PM »
Keith,
The issue of mounting the OEM open frame air leveling compressor (either Valid or HWH) in a hostile environment without any shielding for dirt or water has been discussed here many times. The consensus here is that it was a stupid design decision. You can either build a weather proof housing or replace the compressor with a different design compressor.

To me the best solution to this problem is to replace the OEM compressor with a sealed Viair compressor like the 380 or 444 model. The Viair compressor is very tolerant of a dirty environment if you can get it a clean air intake source. However, since it pumps about twice as much air as the OEM compressor, it uses more amps, so you may need to do a little rewiring an install a high amp load relay controlled circuit to power the compressor.

Gerald       
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Dang if we havent had our share of fixes this year. 
Gerald, I appreciate the reccomendation.  I was just looking at a Viaair today but hadent considered the draw.  One of the items I havent found in my wiring diagrams is the aux. air compressor and its relay.  The fuse is #30 in the bay but where might the relay be among all these circut boards?

Before the last replacement the OEM was blowing fuses at 30 amp.  Should be a 15 amp.  Any ideas why that happened again with the new compressor?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »
Keith, mine also has a fusible link near the compressor that has blown a couple times in the last 5 years.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH