Author Topic: Service bay door won't open  (Read 3871 times)

Tim Manninen

Service bay door won't open
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Went to open the service bay door to slide out the generator to check the oil and the right latch won't slide back enough to open the door. The left one will slide back far enough. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tim

Gerald Farris

Re: Service bay door won't open
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
Tim,
This is usually caused by the rod straightening out through some of the bends in the original routing, therefore making the rod a little longer so it will not pull the latch slide far enough to release the latch. It can be corrected by opening the adjoining door if one is present and releasing the latch with a screw driver point. However, if you can not gain enough access to the slide latch to release the latch, you sometimes have to crawl through the compartment from the other side and remove the lock access cover to pull the latch rod enough to open the door.

After the door is open remove the lock cover on the inside of the door and shorten the rod enough to ensure proper operation. This is done by either adjusting the turnbuckle (if present) or making a small "S" bend in the rod as necessary.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:25:39 AM »
I think Tim’s problem is it’s his electric bay, streetside forewardmost (that’s where my similar Monty’s gen slide switch is), Gerald, so there is neither side nor rear bay access.  I’ve had issues with that same latch in the past but was fortunate enough to finagle it open so I could adjust things.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tim Manninen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:35:31 AM »
Gerald, Joel is correct. I'm talking about the, I think it's called the service bay door with all the electrical connections and the switch to slide out the generator. On our coach it is on the road side and the first bay under the driver. I don't believe there is another access. But I hope I'm wrong.
Joel, can you give me any finagling tips. All my finagling hasn't worked. I tried pushing on the right side at the location of the latch while lifting the handle. I somehow thought I could slide the door forward just a hair but that didn't work. I tried a coat hanger to somehow reach the plunger but to no avail. So I'm wondering what else I could try.
Thanks for your quick response.
Tim

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 03:41:28 AM »
Had a couple of bay doors that would not open. BCS mechanic said he used a long screwdriver to push the latch sideways 'till it opened. He went at it from the bottom of the door.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 03:56:40 AM »
Tim, You might want to take a look at a latch that is working, so you know what you're dealing with. Just open another bay door and take off the sheet metal cover. Lots to look at, especially if you have remote control compartment locks.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
Actually I still have an issue in that I can’t get that door lock to open with a key, just the fob.  At least I can open it, and one of these days take the thing apart to fix whatever’s hanging up the key mechanics.

I think it was in 2015 that that door popped open between Bend and Redmond after a BCS tech didn’t “knee” it.  The door was just out of my side mirror and window view, and I never heard it open, but a passing car signaled an alert a few miles out of Bend.

That rear latch now can be too far the opposite of your issue.  If anything it barely catches on mine.  The last time it stuck closed was too long ago to remember, and I probably got luckier back then than you have so far on yours with the finagling, trying the same things you’ve attempted.

Bill’s tech’s method would be my next try.  A wire hanger fished in from below may be an option, but might not be stiff enough to push on and depress the latch plunger.  If you can get a long, thin flatblade screwdriver in there, great, but not everyone has one (I do).  In any case you’ll of course want to help things along by working the door handle in concert.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:11:44 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tim Manninen

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for your help. I almost believe if I go for a ride something will change and the door will open up. Wishful thinking. I will definitely try the long screwdriver. That sounds promising.
Thanks again for all your responses.
Tim

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »
   Tim, That's going to be your best chance. Study a door that does work, take measurements and develop a strategy with that door then go up from the bottom. Keep smiling while you finesse it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »
I saw Jim Nichols get a stuck door open on the O'malley's PT at the Farmington ralley.  Call Jim for advice!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
Bill Sprague, Thank you for the vote of confidence. My advice would be the same as Bill Lampkin's info from BCS's mechanics: long screw driver up from the bottom.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

George Harwell

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
It may be a long shot but works for me when I get a door that acts up. Push in on the door then insure the latch is fully unlocked. Pushing in the door takes pressure off the latch assembly allowing smoother operation. Also putting the coach in travel mode can make a difference.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:53 AM »
Tim, George brings a good point... if your coach is off level or tweaked enough to twist the body, leveling up may help resolve your issue.  You can always see a body twist by checking for consistent gaps, top to bottom, between bay doors and body panels.  It can throw off the alignment of the latch plunger to the catch on the doorframe just enough to be troublesome.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat