Author Topic: Roadmaster even Brake  (Read 8887 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Roadmaster even Brake
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:46:13 AM »
Hey fellow Beavers, I am getting our 2003 GMC Yukon set up to tow behind our Beaver. The person doing the work for me wants to install the Roadmaster Even Brake system. Anyone have any experience with this system? We currently have the US Gear system in our KIA Sportage and love it. The person doing the work at Performance RV and Marine in Anchorage is not familiar with there system and would rather go with the Even Brake. He says it's a good system, but I figured I would get the opinion of any of you who have used it. Thanks in advance for any advise.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:16:33 AM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

RobertPlummer

Re: Roadmaster even Brake
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
My experience with the even brake was bad.  It stopped working during warranty twice.  It took 5 hours waiting in a parking lot in August on first breakdown to get warranty approval for the repair.  I smelled rubber when I stopped usually.  I finally threw it in the trash and bought the Air Force One system, which I am very peased with.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
I would certainly echo the SMI brake solution.  I finally threw out a Brake Buddy after it ruined my towed brake rotors 3 times.  Also don't have to contend with the brake parts sitting in the cars front floor.  SMI a great choice for either gas or diesel coaches!

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
Thank you so much! At almost 1500.00 this would be an expensive mistake. I do believe I am going to look into the SMI system.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
Larry,
If you are going to change toad brake systems, I would suggest that you look at the M&G brake system. I have had one for ten years and it has performed flawlessly.

Gerald

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I will check it out. After looking at the post on the even brake I think I should really stay away from that one. I read on another website that one person burned up their brake pads and rotors on a new truck because the even brake was active while he was going down a long grade with his Jac Brake. Not Good! Thanks so much for the feed back each one of you!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:16:07 AM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:30:52 AM »
My experience with Roadmaster has been excellent, though the Even-Brake style was never my first choice.  If your installer is familiar with Roadmaster, then spend a little more on their BrakeMaster, the one I chose and am very happy with.  Storing it is certainly easier than a box would be, and set up is no more difficult.  Ours has always worked flawlessly.  And Roadmaster has been there on several occasions to tweak another installer's work and improve my hitch configuration, all at little or no labor cost at their Portland and Vancouver facilities.

That said, if you like your US Gear system on the smaller car, why not stick with it on the Yukon?

-Joel
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:18:08 AM by 14 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Thanks Joel, I would like to stick with US Gear but I need to find an installer in Alaska. Southwest Driveline in Yuma, AZ installed it in our KIA and we have never had a problem with it. I am hearing good things about the Air Force One system also so I am looking seriously at it. I need to get this taken care of before we head south in September. Thanks again for the feedback. I hope you all have a wonderful summer!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Also Gerald I looked at the M&G website and did not see our Yukon listed on their list of cars that it will work on. I will call them on Monday and find out if its a possiblity.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
I see your problem;  your only Unified Brake installer is in Fairbanks, a bit of a drive.  They do have installation instructions and an installation video on their website, Larry.  Your coach is already to go, so you only have to set up the Yukon.  You might consider doing the job yourself, or see if Performance RV is amenable to the Unified Brake product install in spite of their perceived unfamiliarity.
-Joel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:13:58 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »
I have installed the same Unified Break system on 3 cars and 2 motor homes.  It is possible to do it yourself.  It is only labor intensive ( 4-5 hours.)  Just follow the directions provided.  Before you start, be able to identify the vacuum line to the break assist, the hot wire to the break light switch and the break pedal.  The remainder is just routing wires and cables. Enjoy.

Larry

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »
Thanks Larry & Joel, maybe I will order it and if I think it's to much maybe I can find someone local willing to take it on. Something as critical as this I definetly want to make sure is installed correctly. Also I am not the greatest shade tree mechanic. It is a great supplemetal brake system. Always have had good service from it on the KIA.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Sounds like a plan, Larry.  You could also always take a leisurely 2 vehicle drive to Fairbanks;  the extra fuel cost vs. self-installation stress is your call after previewing the installation video.  And Young's Gear there is an authorized installer, a secure advantage over just any Anchorage, Soldotna, or Sterling shop.

But don't totally rule out the Roadmaster Brakemaster as an option;  I really like ours.

-Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:20 PM »
Hey just an update on my decision. I asked my installer to consider installing one of the systems you all have suggested. I told them it didn't matter to me which one. Anyway they have opted to install the Air Force One. Thank you all so much for your feedback. I really appreciate this forum when you are trying to figure things out. You are all so very helpful and it is very much appreciated. Hope to see you on the road!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine