Author Topic: Coach Just Burned  (Read 12096 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Coach Just Burned
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »
Early this morning we found out that our ‘08 Patriot was destroyed by fire.  The coach was parked in our driveway and plugged into a 30 amp outlet.  The coach has been parked in the same place since we returned from Branson.  Unfortunately we have been out of town and we were not home during this tragedy.  The fire obviously started in the rear portion of the coach but not sure where.  The outlet connection at the house was undamaged.  I suspect a possible electrical short in the coach.  Does anyone have any idea of what might have started the fire?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

Mike Shumack

Re: Coach Just Burned
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
One area to check is the Transfer box. That's were the Shore Power and Generator wires attach. If the screw terminals are loose heat can build up and start a fire.

Here's a picture (not mine) of Transfer switch that had loose terminals.

Mine is mounted in the celling of the last bay. The last photo is on my TS (SureGuard) - probably same as yours. I took this photo when I had the cover off to check the lug tightness.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:09:30 PM by Mike Shumack »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »
Norm, So sorry to hear about your coach being destroyed. It seems odd that with your coach parked for a length of time connected to a 30 amp supply that it would draw enough amps to overheat a connection and start a fire. With my 06 PT once the batteries are charged up it doesn't draw hardly any amps from the shore connection, mine is 50 amp I might see a few amps off and on on the computer screen.
Was the fire department able to find the area where the fire started, that would give a starting point as to the cause.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
Norm,
Sorry to hear about your coach. You didn't' say how long you were  home after plugging it in so I'll assume a few days and that everything was OK up to that point. As Mike noted, a bad connection in the transfer relay could cause overheating. However, you noted that the 30A outlet was OK. Also the breaker apparently didn't trip before the fire started. That said, I'd suspect a battery connection, maybe not at the batteries but something directly tied to them. They were probably fully charged so had a lot of current to supply to a quasi short to ground which could generate a lot of heat. Keep us posted on what you find.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:38:27 AM »
Norm and Cynthia, so sorry for the coach fire!  Glad you guys are okay!
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:55 AM »
Some years back my daughter’s old trailer was plugged into our 30 amp house RV outlet beside our garage.  One day I was at my workbench when a gullywasher went through, and I stepped to the rear garage door to check it out, then back to my bench.  All was fine except for the super downpour.  A second later I heard an odd sound and went to the door again.  The adapter from our cord to hers was laying on the concrete nearby to my right shooting sparks and flame gloriously high.   Surmising that the cord at the house outlet might be too hot to just grab and pull, I hurried to the nearby electric panel and flipped the RV breaker.

At first I’d assumed daughter had overloaded something in her trailer, but she wasn’t even home.  The downpour was heavy enough to put the adapter slightly under water on the flat concrete and had shorted it, somehow without kicking the breaker.  I learned a lesson and never let connectors lay on solid surfaces now.  I moved her connection above the surface and under a makeshift “hood”.

If Norm’s place experienced a downpour while he was gone, and a connector was similarly exposed, that is also a possible culprit.  I can attest that despite being underwater, sparks and flame can shoot in a show to rival fireworks.  And if the connector was near the rear of the coach...

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss but we are glad no one was hurt
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
Norm, was there damage to your home as well?  Sorry for your loss.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
First, Mr. & Mrs. Green, so sorry for the tragic loss of your coach. Just glad no one was hurt, and that your house was not damaged.

Thanks for that information, Joel. I do have my connection lying on the concrete, but I keep it under the coach where it connects so it doesn't get wet. I will put it on a block or something, now.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
   Norm, What a heart breaker! We love all the memories our Coach provides, hopefully your insurance will help put this behind you.
   The transfer relay, power cord connections, inverter/converter are all in N.E.C. approved electrical enclosures for that reason. I have seen totally destroyed transfer relays and related wiring but the fire was contained in the box. I would be more inclined to look in the battery compartment. I have seen more than a half dozen coaches catch fire in that area. There is a lot of energy stored in that area and battery cables get tangled up over the years of extending and retracting the battery tray and or replacing batteries. Good forensic inspection from a RVIA certified technician should help identify the source of the fire. Sorry for your loss! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Ron Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
So sorry for your loss and so glad you were not in the Coach when it happened.

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:57:22 PM »
SO sorry to hear of the fire.  It was a really nice coach and both of you were enjoying it so.  Now to get another and all of the stuff that goes with it will be a chore.

Thinking os you.
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

George Harwell

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »
Mike, I saw in your bottom photo a couple of wires on the left side have current sensors. Do you have any idea who the manufacturer or part number is. Need to replace the sensor in my coach. Any advice is appreciated.THANKS! George.

George Harwell

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
Norm & Cynthia,
            Sorry to hear about your coach. Such a tragic loss. The unexpected can be a real heart breaker. Here’s hoping you can find a replacement and get back to doing what we all love so much.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
Early this morning we found out that our ‘08 Patriot was destroyed by fire.  The coach was parked in our driveway and plugged into a 30 amp outlet.  The coach has been parked in the same place since we returned from Branson.  Unfortunately we have been out of town and we were not home during this tragedy.  The fire obviously started in the rear portion of the coach but not sure where.  The outlet connection at the house was undamaged.  I suspect a possible electrical short in the coach.  Does anyone have any idea of what might have started the fire?

I just saw the photo of your coach. Wow. So sorry to see that.