Author Topic: Torque arms for '96 Patriot Savannah 33'  (Read 3292 times)

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
Torque arms for '96 Patriot Savannah 33'
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Hello all,
We have a (new) to us 1996 Patriot Savannah 33' with 71,000 miles that  according to Kaiser Brake and alignment (Eugene) needs all new torque arms to the tune of over $6000 for all 8. Yikes! Service writer showed me 2  pictures of them and yes the seals look pretty messed up.
Looking for suggestions and /or recommendations.

Thanks in advance to any replies,
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Mike Shumack

Re: Torque arms for '96 Patriot Savannah 33'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Can you post those pictures?
A 1996 Patriot should have the "Magnum Air" (Magnum B-series) chassis. But if it was built in '95 maybe its a Spartan IC chassis.

Do you have "eight air bag" setup?

Regarding torque arms - I would think you are just needing to replace the bushings at each end, not the complete arm/rod. Is that your understanding of the job?
This site is a good source for bushing and torque arms.  https://www.atrobushing.com/

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 02:42:09 AM »
hello Jeff
Last year I picked up a 97 patriot yorktown on a magnum 8 air bag chassis which also had torque rod issues from age and sitting.
the seal boots on these torque is a semi silicone piece which was crimped on at the factory and the ball end it protects was formed and swaged in at the factory.(not replaceable)
the torque rods are a ZF manufactured design and can be bought through BCS But after a lot of research I discovered that
Freuhauf trailers used these years back and a two piece version (weld together) allowing for custom length can be found at Michigan truck spring on line https://www.truckspring.com/heavy-duty-truck-parts/suspension-parts/freuhauf-torque-arms-rods.aspx
as TS 345-812 for $271. USD
These should be assembled in place and tacked to achieve the proper lenght and the removed and welded I have installed one in my coach and it worked perfectly.
But before you go to all the effort and expense check to made sure the rods are worn out.
Mine have most of the seals torn or missing and I had several rhat had siezed ball end which squeaked and or moaned when
they moved (on every bump.)
I removed the torque rods one at a time and cleaned them up and in a vise lubed them with penetrating oil and worked them
until they freed up. (It,s a big job but all but one was reusable )
After I freed them up I drilled and taped each end and installed grease fittings
I also found boot kits to replace the originals  These are ZF part #68324854 and are originally used on ZF brake calipers
they aren't perfect but they work and even look like the originals
After I was done the front end sounded and worked 100 percent better

Question
does your coach have two front shocks or 4
If it has 2 check carefully at the frame where the brackets for the upper shock mounts are bolted,
 on these coaches they have a bad habit of cracking the frame through the bolt holes (poor design)
if so the mounts can be taken off (unbolted)
the cracks drilled and welded
and then the mounts welded to a larger 1/4 inch plate which is then welded top and bottom to the frame (no vertical welds)
the plates on mine are approx 2 feet long and 2 inches shorter then the height of the frame rail leaving about an inch top and bottom for the weld.
My coach had the drivers side done when I got it and I had to do the passenger side.
with that done everything is working well.

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
Thanks Eric and Mike for the quick responses on this with great information to boot.

Not sure how to post pics maybe I'll get it done tomorrow evening.
To be fair the price from Kaiser was also and alignment as well  but they said they wouldn't do it till the torque rods were replaced. Which is logical in my mind. They had an immaculate shop and were very nice and professional.

The chassis is a magnum (with decal) chassis 8 air bag set up and I believe it is a 6 shock set up, four in the rear and two in the front. Unit was built in May of 1996.
Anymore information or responses is always appreciated.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:32 AM »
Eric,
In rereading your response, I would hope that Kaiser would have checked that bracket for the front shock. Ill ask in the am.
JJ
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B