Author Topic: Main 12 volt fuse panel location  (Read 6954 times)

Craig Wahnish

• BAC Member
Main 12 volt fuse panel location
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
I have a 2004 Beaver Monterey with triple slides and a bath and a half.  The driving lights have stopped working.  The bulbs are good.  I wanted to locate the main 12 volt fuse panel to check the fuse, but have been unable to do so.  My servicing dealer, Alliance Coach, has been unable to locate it as well, and the owners manual does not list its location either.  I have located a small 12 volt fuse panel next to the breaker box in the cabinet above the dresser in the bedroom, but it is not what I am looking for.  Does anyone have a 2004 Monterey that can tell me where this panel is?  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:54:11 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2004 Monterey

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Main 12 volt fuse panel location
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
Check the 'Front Run Bay', its the outside compartment in front of the left front tire. Lotsa stuff in there......
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:53:55 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Craig Wahnish

Craig Wahnish

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:30:27 PM »
Lots of stuff, but no fuse panel.  Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:53:33 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2004 Monterey

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
     Craig, if you look again in that front compartment you'll find vertical rows of circuit breakers. There should be a label attached to the door identifying the chassis and house circuits. There are no fuses, just auto reset breakers and related relays. Fred
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:53:15 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
Craig,
We don't have a copy of the 04 front elec bay layout but the 05 and 03 will be very similar if not identical. The driving  lights are not fused. The path starts at the ignition buss bar in the electrical bay (should be one on left as you look at it). CB-30 is the thermal breaker that provides protection for the circuit. From there it goes to the Driving light switch in the cockpit. I think the wire # is 227, but may be different on your 04. From the switch it goes to the Driving lights on wire #228. Also, note the the ignition must be ON for the driving lights to work.
I've attached the front elec bay diagram for an 05. You should have one for your 04.

Alliance is/was a Monaco/Beaver dealer and shop. IMHO they should know that the early Beavers (~pre06) weren't fused.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:52:51 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Craig Wahnish

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
Craig, the small fuse box in your bedroom should just be some coach interior (house) 12v features.  The 12v chassis devices are on circuit breakers as others have pointed out, not fuses, in the streetside forwardmost “electrical” bay.  As Steve notes the one you are looking for is probably CB30 as on our ‘06 Monterey, and as the legend below implies the ignition must be on for anything along that buss to get voltage.  If both sides of 30 are then “hot”, the issue is at the switch or  the lamps, whose connectors and wiring by virtue of location are often exposed to potential damage. 

The units may look okay but were the lamps individually tested with auxiliary 12 volts?  It’s inconceivable that an experienced tech at Alliance would neither know there weren’t fuses nor where the chassis breakers were.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:00:21 AM »
I have a 2004 Beaver Monterey with triple slides and a bath and a half.  The driving lights have stopped working.  The bulbs are good.  I wanted to locate the main 12 volt fuse panel to check the fuse, but have been unable to do so.  My servicing dealer, Alliance Coach, has been unable to locate it as well, and the owners manual does not list its location either.  I have located a small 12 volt fuse panel next to the breaker box in the cabinet above the dresser in the bedroom, but it is not what I am looking for.  Does anyone have a 2004 Monterey that can tell me where this panel is?  Thanks

Craig, This may sound screwy but with my 06 Patriot Thunder the driving/fog lights will not come on unless the parking brake is off. I never knew that until I replaced my fog lights and could not figure out why they would not work.
Try releasing your parking brake with the key on a see if they come on, its worth a try.

Craig Wahnish

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
Thank you to all who replied.  I will look into the relays and parking brake idea.  As far as Alliance Coach goes, I doubt I will ever return there.  I could write a book as to the service issues I've had with them.  Things have been so bad they actually sent someone to my home from Alliance (3 hour drive) to remedy repairs that were not done properly when the coach was in for service.  Again, thanks for all the replies.  Happy Trails...
2004 Monterey
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
Craig,

When Roy Mueller did the "brighter headlights" video it was on an '04 Monterey.   He locates the circuit breaker at the beginning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmYyoILEhMY  (It now has 10,179 views!!)

Back then, there was a limit on video length at YouTube so it forced a part two to finish.  It has only 4,000 views.  Part 1 must have been too boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXez9bQNY0

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
Bill,
The headlights and driving lights use different circuit breakers.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 07:20:45 PM »

That 12VDC fuse panel inside the Coach is for the "House" 12V systems. The Chassis 12V (i.e. Driving Lights, Headlights, Turn Signals, etc.) are powered from the Run Bay box (the compartment on the outside under Driver's window).

On my Coach the Driving Lights wil only come on when the ignition switch is in the Run position.

Here's an example of the "12VDC House wiring and fuse panel",

Craig Wahnish

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.
2004 Monterey

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 12:42:11 AM »
Bill,
The headlights and driving lights use different circuit breakers.
Steve
My purpose was probably misguided.  It seemed that Craig might need to see what a resetting circuit breaker looked like and how Roy used the map to figure out which was which.  Craig was looking for fuses.

Craig Wahnish

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill.  Your recent comment raised a question.  Since my driving lights are on circuit breakers, are these circuit breakers resettable?  If so, how?
2004 Monterey

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
As I understand it they reset themselves.  If one is cool and open it needs to be replaced.  They are thermal breakers.  They get hot past their set point based on the current flow and they open.  When they cool they close.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH