Author Topic: Glue for side trim for basement door  (Read 1902 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Glue for side trim for basement door
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
I had to remove the side trim piece to repair a basement door. What type of glue or sealant do I need to use when I put it all back together. I know the c channel has the screws but a sealant or glue bond the trim that goes over the c channel....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Mike Shumack

Re: Glue for side trim for basement door
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what piece you are working on - but I have used this "metal panel adhesive" on many projects. It's about as strong as you will find. It's a two part (sort of epoxy) made for bonding automotive panels. The "medium" refers to cure time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3HXRIQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The link is to the larger size (special caulk gun required) but it also comes in a smaller size that is "hand applied" (the smaller one in the photo). I got the big tube and have their caulking gun as I use this a lot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:25:46 AM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Glue for side trim for basement door
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
La Monte,
If I remember correctly, the sealant on the trim strips on the "waist line" of our 01 Contessa Naples was simply to keep water out and seal the edges against the wall of the coach. Lexel or a silicone is sufficient. The factory used a silicone type sealant. While (IMHO) Lexel is a better sealant, silicone is easier to work with, especially on areas such as these that are visible. In any case I would not use a permanent type sealant as you or a service center may need to remove the strips in the future.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell