Author Topic: Residental refrig / inverter  (Read 1937 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Residental refrig / inverter
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:20:24 AM »
Time to change over to a residenital refrig. Our Norcold works fine, but its a ticking time bomb. So for our motorhome, we've picked the Fisher Paykel french door fridge over a similar sized GE. Question now is what to do with our inverter. Our '05 Patriot has a modified sine wave inverter (Xantrex rv2512) which works fine, but I called FP (in New Zealand!) and they said use only a pure sine wave inverter. I think I'll just swap out our 2500w inverter with Xantrex SW2012, 2000w inverter. Don't have to upsize battery cables or inverter input AC wire size. We will use the inverter to keep the beer cold when we are on the road. New inverter, new remote control panel too. Anything I missed??
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Robin Goffrier

Re: Residental refrig / inverter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:44:38 AM »
Bill, our 06 PT 42 is the first coach we've had with a residential fridge. its OK but there are drawbacks. Its only electric, no option for gas. May explain why I have 6 big 12 volt gell cell batteries.  And you can't winterize it. They're also big, sometimes not fitting through the door, requiring removal of the windshield to get it in or out. Right now my Whirlpool has an inop ice-maker and burst water line under the unit. Fridge/freezer works but nothing water related. all things considered, I'd pick it again I guess and she who must be obeyed likes it better.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
  Robin & Bill, Here is tip to winterize the residential refer and the insta-hot. After you drain the fresh water system, install a "blow-out" plug into the city water inlet. pressurize to 70 psi air. Leave the refer and ice harvester on and let cycle several times. Do the same with the insta-hot. You will have to add air until water is gone. Cycle the toilet valve to remove any residual water in that system. Your other choice is to pump the non-toxic antifreeze thru the fresh water system. Not fun in the spring when your anxious to get going. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get at least 2 days of run time from my 4x GC2 house batteries. We really don't boondock, so the inverter will power up the fridge only when we are travelling. I've carefully measured the doorway, and the F&P hopefully will slide right up the stairs. Fingers crossed. As for winterizing, we reside in sunny N. California-It never even rains here!!

Happy Turkey day to all
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."