Author Topic: Generator Hour Meter wiring  (Read 2291 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Generator Hour Meter wiring
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:08:32 AM »
In the front run bay (frb), there is a wire terminal marked 'Gen Hour Meter' on terminal 4. I imagine that the wire originates at the generator hour meter, and then goes to the frb, then to the gen start rocker switch on the dash. I thought I saw two white wires and one grey or black wire in the frb on terminal 4. If there are three wires, where do these wires go? I can only account for two wires. Reason I am asking is I am replacing the inverter with a pure sine wave inverter and Auto Generator Start module, and the AGS requires a switched hot lead from the hour meter so it knows the generator has started and is running. I know I can just add a wire to terminal 4 and run it to the AGS module, I was hoping that somehow that wire is already near the inverter. The old inverter (Xantrex rv 2512) did not require a seperate AGS or gen sense wire.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Richard Hicks

Re: Generator Hour Meter wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
Hey Bill,
I did same upgrade last yr,  I connected in elec bay on a gen terminal.   Can’t remember witch one. I’ll be home today and will double CK where I pulled 12v for run signal

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »
If you have the Big Boy there is a generator "running" signal to the BIRD module.
On my 2005 PT it is located on the back of little compartment door above the batteries. That's pretty close the Inverter location.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »
Thanks Mike, That's what I was looking for. I'll check the Bird module today. Likeley the wire I'm looking for passes right by the inverter on a frame rail.
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
No joy-went out to the MH today; Bird does have a gen terminal but no wire connected. Term 4 in the frb has two wires, not three, one brown (may come from the generator hr meter) and one white (to dash gen start sw, my guess). So is there a buried gen sense wire somewhere, or does the white wire stop at the dash switch? I'll see if I can check the wires on the back of the switch. Bummer! Maybe time to run a new wire.
525 hp C13