Author Topic: Prosine 2.0 problem  (Read 8209 times)

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Prosine 2.0 problem
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:37 AM »
Went out to MH and noticed there was no display on my remote panel. Unplugged from shore power and everything went dead. Plugged back in and have power back but still no display on remote. Turned inverter switch off at inverter and get no pass through power, turned switch back on and have pass through power but still no remote display. I have checked all the breakers including the ones in the basement and nothing is tripped. I believe since I get pass through power there must be power getting to the inverter and I do have 13 volts going in on the DC side. The only thing I have not done is put a meter on the output of the inverter with the shore power unplugged. Any suggestions? Thanks, Marty
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:12:25 AM by 153 »

Edward Buker

Re: Prosine 2.0 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »
Marty,

My Prosine 2.5 will go into an irrevesable error mode from time to time. It does not store a legitimate error code when it does and you simply cannot follow any procedure to reset its logic from the panel. What I have to do is first drop all 120V power to the coach and then turn off the battery switch to the house batteries for maybe 15 seconds and then switch the batteries back on and then the 120V AC. I know our symptoms are different but it may be you have some stuck logic in the unit that will not drop and reset until all power is disconnected. Worth a try...cheap fix if it works. Let us now if it helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:58:21 PM by 910 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »
Ed, Went out and tried that a couple of times and no luck. Thanks for the idea. Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
If you have 13v going on the DC side then the charger is working which means the monitor circuitry that looks for errors thinks things are O.K. and the 120V to DC generating and control circuitry seems to be working. You could just have a panel fail but to know that you need another control panel. That would be a logical next step. Might be time to call Xantrex and see if they have any suggestions or history of your problem. I know thier suport is not great but worth a try.

later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
Marty,
I never like to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like your Prosine died.  Ed is right, when he said that your next step is to call Xantrex. The problem with calling Xantrex is, that they have mediocre technical support at best, but they should be able to help you determine if your Prosine is dead, or not.

If your Prosine has an internal problem, Xantrex considers them non-repairable throw away units, and instead of repairing it, they will try to sell you another inverter. Before you buy another Xantrex, I would look at replacing it with a Magnum inverter, because they have a better reputation for dependability, customer support, and repair ability, in case there is a problem.

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:41:43 AM by 14 »

Les Marzec

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
Marty

I just had a similar problem with my Trace 2512 inverter.  What I found was, that the communication cable to the controller, I.e., telephone cable, was not getting a good connection.  I unplugged it, cleaned both the cable and controller contacts, and it now works.

Not sure if yours is the same, but worth a try.

I had the same problem with the awning.  I cleaned the contacts, and now that works much better.  Both of these components are in the same compartment over the door.  

Les
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:43:08 AM by 14 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
Well it is the data cable!!! I tried cleaning the contacts, and that didn't work. So just for grins and giggles, I put a shot data cable from the inverter to the remote, and "BINGO" it works. At least that saves a bunch of money. I now just have to find a pinched wire, or run a new one (oh boy), or I could just mount the remote display in the basement. Thanks for all the suggestions.  Marty
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:46:19 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »
Marty,

Great news.....I think a typwriter eraser on the contacts at both ends would be worth a try..

later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 03:56:49 AM »
Marty,

One other thought. I own one of these testers, and they are easy to use. You can test the cable from one end, by putting an included remote fixture on the other end. They will test Ethernet or phone cables. If you could get your hands on one or hire someone who has one, you could figure out what position is not working, or if the whole cable is open. If it is just 1 wire position, you could check with Xantrex, and see if they can tell you what each wire in the cable is used for.  There may be a good chance that not all of the wires in the cable are used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ideal-33-856-VDV-Multimedia-Cable-Tester-/110646735134?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D110665770111%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D73766111453178445

If that is the case and you have a single wire failure, then you could make adapters for both of the ends that transfers the bad wire position to another position, and then convert it back at the other end to match the current plug position. In essence, two short adapter cables, one for each end, each with one female and one male plug. Anyone who makes up Ethernet or phone cabling, and works on networking computers could do this for you. Thought this might be of help, given none of these coaches have traces that you can pull new wires through. Good luck on this....

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:50:55 AM by 14 »