Author Topic: Transfer Switch Problem  (Read 6275 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Transfer Switch Problem
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
Just wanted to share a little issue i had this past weekend.

Due to a surge or a lightning stike, I lost shore power in the coach.

After much investigation, it was found the coil in the contactor in the transfer switch was destroyed.

It is a minor part of the transfer switch, and once diagnosed, it took 3 days to get a new one shipped.

Comparitively speaking, it was inexpensvie, but had I taken to a dealer, it could have been in the thousand dollar range just for the diagnosis.

Turns out to have been a $53 part.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:14:10 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Transfer Switch Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
The damage could have been worse and not so easily or inexpensively repaired;  your coach doesn't have a surge unit installed?  :-/
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
 We installed a surge guard several years ago and hope it saves us from voltage spike. It has saved us from several low voltage and surges by the two minute delay to allow the AC units to lower head pressure.

Gary Schenck

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
We have a 1989 Beaver Marquis....how do I know if I have a "surge guard"?   What does one cost for my coach?  What else do I need to know about surge guards?

Thank you
Gary Schenck

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »
I laid in our storage bay where the inverter is mounted and was surprised to see a surge guard also mounted near the inverter. I don't know if this came from the factory or the previous owner installed it.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:07:39 AM »
Gary,
Your 1989 did not come with a surge guard, however one may have been added by a previous owner. There are several types of surge guards that operate in different ways, but if there is no delay when you plug into campground (shore) power, you probably do not have a surge guard. The most common maker of surge guards for the RV industry is TRC http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard

Larry,
If you have a stand alone surge guard that is hardwired into your coach, it was added by a previous owner. However Monaco started using Surge Guard Transfer Switches around the time that your coach was built, so if the surge guard that you are referring to is incorporated into the transfer switch, it is original equipment.

Gerald  

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I always appreciate your knowledge on these coachs.  :) Your input is always appreciated and valuable.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine