Author Topic: Replacing Ballast on Thin-Lite Fluorescent  (Read 3628 times)

Jason Worman

Replacing Ballast on Thin-Lite Fluorescent
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had replaced the ballast on a Thin-Lite, 12V Fluorescent fixture? I tested the voltage to the light and it is good but light does not work. New light on Amazon runs about 70.00. NW RV supply has ballasts for 15.00, ordered a couple extra as other lights starting to flicker. These are the recessed under cabinet lights.
Thank you,

Jason.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Replacing Ballast on Thin-Lite Fluorescent
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »
My suggestion is to just replace the whole thing with a LED.  Easy and uses less power.  I've done 4 of mine so far.  Maybe 3 or 4 left.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:37:44 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion, might do that at some point, but for now, the pocketbook only allows for ballast replacements.We did replace all of the lights with LED'S except the under cabinet lights.

Jason

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion, might do that at some point, but for now, the pocketbook only allows for ballast replacements.We did replace all of the lights with LED'S except the under cabinet lights.

Jason
These work well when you decide to change them out.  I used two strips in each light but you could easily use only one if you didn't want them too bright.  $22.00.  Have fun.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFBG1O0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
Jerry,

That is a great idea, are you finding the lights to run at a high temp? Noticed reviews on Amazon that they run hot. Very reasonable alternative to replacing Thin-lites with LED ballast.

Jason

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »
Jerry,

That is a great idea, are you finding the lights to run at a high temp? Noticed reviews on Amazon that they run hot. Very reasonable alternative to replacing Thin-lites with LED ballast.

Jason
When I installed the first one I checked after it had been on for a few minutes and didn't detect anything more than a slight warmth.  They have the covers over them now so no heat detectable.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:35 AM »
Jerry,

We are going to go with what you recommended
 The Fluorescent ballast arrived tonight and while installing, underside soldering broke loose. Wife loves the idea of changing all the under cabinet lights to these LED strips. Did you remove all the old ballasts and sockets and wiring in your lights?

Jason

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:43:55 AM »
Jason, yes I drilled out the rivets, removed and threw away everything inside of the fixture.  I left the switch and just wired the LED strips through it to the 12 V line coming in.  The strips come with double sided tape and I just stuck them to the fixture.  Two of them have been installed for a couple years.  They are in the bedroom and the wife hates them because they are too bright for her.  If y'all feel the same, try installing just one strip and see how it is.  I like the lights bright so I'm happy.  I'll probably disable one strip in one of the lights sooner or later. 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Mike Sulley

Jason Worman

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 06:16:53 AM »
Jerry,

Thank you so much for answering all my questions

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
... the wife hates them because they are too bright for her.  If y'all feel the same, try installing just one strip and see how it is.  I like the lights bright so I'm happy.  I'll probably disable one strip in one of the lights sooner or later.

You're smart Jerry, so you know this - it doesn't matter that you like them bright. If wife doesn't like them ... then disable one of the light strips "Sooner" rather than later. ;D

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 04:26:11 PM »
Yeah I get it but my wife is so easy to get along with that she just uses another light and doesn't complain.  So I tend to procrastinate.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH