Author Topic: Retracing awning with sensor  (Read 5980 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Retracing awning with sensor
« on: March 03, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
I just installed a new wind sensor from Girard yesterday. My coach sits under a shelter and I cannot extend the awning all the way out. So... I tested the new sensor anyway with the awning not fully extended using a hairdryer but the awning would not retract.  My question is, does the awning need to be completely extended before the sensor will engage to retract the awning?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

Re: Retracing awning with sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »
The Awning should retract in high wind regardless of whether or not it is fully or partially extended.

Note that when testing, (1) you need to wait 5 minutes after using the "Up" button before the Wind Sensor will work, and (2) the awning needs to have power (120VAC and 12VDC) for it to retract in high winds. So be sure you are plugged into shore power or you're running the generator, or have the Inverter turned on.

The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
Was there any instruction for resetting the wind speed dial inside the control box? Open up the control box and set the wind speed dial all the way down and try again to see if the awning will actually go in. If that works start moving the dial up until you get to about the speed you want. Mine was set way to low and had to bump it up a bit, you just don't want to go too high, better to be on the low side.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 03:27:31 PM »
 Thanks very much guys. I didn’t know about the five minute wait and also did not know about being able to adjust the wind speed in the box. Another question though.... I splice the wires in to the old wiring and the wires were not color-coded the same. Does it matter how the wires are spliced to each other?
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
I don't think it matters how the anemometer is wired, but you can just swap the wire connections (at the controller - if that's easier to access than at the anemometer) to be sure.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
If you reverse the wiring on some models, the awning will open when wind speeds reaches the trigger point. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,9381.msg64093.html#msg64093
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Fred Cook

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
Fred, You can go to the Girard web site and download all the manuals for all of their awnings very helpful, you can also call them at their tech line and I'm sure they can help you. They have some real smart tech's over there.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:53 PM »
   You are right Steve, I already made that mistake!, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
Success! Got it working and it works well. Thanks to all!
Fred & Cindy

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 02:17:58 AM »
Fred, enlighten us what did you do to fix it? And there are no wrong answers just more info for future problems.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »
  Lee, As I recall, I was changing the anemometer and the wires of the replacement were blue and brown and the original wires were some other color so I guessed when I connected them. As the guy drove off, the awning started to extend. Fortunately his wife saw it and so did I. He stopped and I ran over to see what happened. He said he didn't do anything. He drove back to my service bay ( I was working at Beaudry RV in Tucson at the time) and I reversed the wiring I had just connected. Then I extended the awning and took my air chuck and blew gently on the sensor and the awning retracted. I think it was 2004 or 2005. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
Fred, to many Fred's here I was replying to Fred who did the original post,  what did he do to fix the awning.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 12:09:09 AM »
Fred, enlighten us what did you do to fix it? And there are no wrong answers just more info for future problems.

I first called Girard  for guidance about the wiring. They told me it did not matter how the anemometer was wired because there is no polarity there, it just sends a signal. I then spliced the wires and soldered them together and covered each wire with heat shrink wrap. I put it all back together, anchored to the roof and then tested it by extending the awning and waiting about 15 minutes before  applying wind with a blow dryer. Worked like a charm.  After testing, I apply the Dicor self leveling sealant. Appears there may be a time delay between extending the awning and the anemometer working correctly.  However, the Girard tech was not aware  of it.
Fred & Cindy

Jeff Watt

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 12:23:30 AM »
I don’t want to hijack this thread, and I  know it has been discussed before, just haven’t found it, I need to replace a wind cup - seems to have been knocked off or broke off - on one of the anemometer units. Where can these be sourced?

And, wrt whether awning needs to be fully extended before it will retract in wind, my experience is no - had the back awning partially out the other day and it went in after a gust.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 01:23:08 AM »
Here ya go, internet strikes again. There is actually a couple different ones, this is to a Girard unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1SNPZI?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1