Author Topic: Winning in a no Winn situation  (Read 2842 times)

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
Winning in a no Winn situation
« on: March 08, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »
Hello All,

In the process of changing all my fuel filters  and the Winn strainer I ran into a common problem with the Winn fuel system.
I was having a load of issues with the Winn after changing the strainer, air bubbles, not seeing nearly enough fuel come thru the stainer and just overall erratic behavior.
 In talking with Eric Maclean  here on the forum  he gave me some great pointers and some I figured out on my own.
  1: I filed off a 1 or 2 thousandths off the top of the  rigid top mount where the thumb screw actually screws into (not the strainer hold down clamp). This helps tighten the clamping force on the plastic strainer with the two o-rings.
   2. Then I had disconnected the fuel suction hose to the strainer so when I mounted the upper strainer housing the hose had to form to it and not the other way around, preventing the hose to determine how the the upper and lower seals where going to land.
   3.  Next I totally removed the water purge system as mine was showing fuel movement when I used the air purge feature. Thinking that the if the fuel can completely evacuate from the tube there must be an air leak upstream coming from the water purge valve or a connection, allowing air to come into the system. So I plugged the bottom of the Racor metal bowl.
    4.  Finally I took some JB black silicone sealant and I carefully smeared only the face of the O-ring that actually made contact with the metal housing grooves or lans. Yes it might be problematic down the road, but for right now I just wanted to get the coach running again.
    Then after all of this I started it up and I have never seen so much fuel going thru the strainer. In saying this I believe that I had an air problem and didn't know it, but I've only driven it maybe 2000 miles since owning it last November. Will see if there is a significant increase in power when I leave  Broad- Mill's shop in Hood River Or after having them pull the torque rods for me. Also if you want a slick way to reseal the torque rods, Eric has found some drop in seals, look up torque rods here on the forum and check it out. It is a Meritor part number 68324854.

Latter
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Winning in a no Winn situation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff glad to of assistance.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
Jeff,
The Racor plastic strainer is sealed with 4 O-rings not 2. There is an O-ring inside the housing at each end of the plastic strainer that is the actual sealing surface, and these O-rings need to be replaced anytime that the strainer is removed or about every 10 years or so to prevent fuel leaks and/or air leaks into the system.

Gerald   

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:31:37 PM »
Gerald,
Boy am I confused.
When I took mine apart for the first time there was 1 o-ring on each end of the plastic strainer housing and nothing inside the mounting housing as what I think you are describing.
 I did replace the o-ring on the bottom outlet elbow housing that attaches with 3 screws, 2 bottom 1 on top.
On a side note I did find a small screw that someone had dropped into that same lower housing that had been there for quite a long time. Weird. Also my old strainer was filled with little translucent  gealtinous BB's or skittles. Never in my over 50 years of being around diesel engine have I ever encountered that.

Thank you for the tip Gerald but I'm not touching nothing for the next ten years or until it starts leaking! LOL.

Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 02:23:01 AM »
Frank and Gerald,
Thank you again for the info on the Winn system. I had no idea that there was two additional o-rings. My strainer only came with one and I had to buy the second one of the same size when I bought the strainer from Oil Filter Services in Portland Or, 
Live and learn.

Thanks again,
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B