Author Topic: Racor RK12963 Filter Unit  (Read 7388 times)

Edward Buker

Racor RK12963 Filter Unit
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
I was on the phone with tech support today regarding the Racor RK12963 filter unit many of us have on or coaches. The plastic housing prescreen filter unit is leak prone due to micro-cracks on the ends with age or a bad O-ring seals. The replacement kit is a 300200 which is still available. It includes the screen, the plastic housing, and several O-rings. There are posts on the web indicating that this kit does not include the right size O-rings.

In my discussion with Racor tech support there are two O-rings used in the metal receivers that are not supplied in the kit. They are the "small fat ones" people refer to that are missing. Racor does not have those parts and therefor they are not supplied. I had him look up on the print what was used and they are Duro (standard black Nitrile) .612 inside diameter by .103 dia O-ring. This O-ring is AS568B (Aero Space Standard Sizing) Part Number 114. The unit takes two of these O-rings to complete the "kit". I find those O-rings are readily available from a local supplier. I wanted to have the right ones in hand before pulling the unit apart....It would be good to carry a couple of these on-board, hope this saves someone else some time.

later Ed
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:07:47 AM by 910 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Racor RK12963 Filter Unit
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
Great info, Ed.  You should make sure you (or Tim) add tags to your post;  "O-rings" and "Fuel Filter" or "Racor" in the Tag Cloud would make it easier for people to find your post and its data in the future.   ;)

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:22:18 AM »
Joel,

I did a quick edit and added a tag....thanks for the hint. I picked up some of the 114 Orings today. I will see if this info was correct and if they actually fit in the next couple of days.

One other little tidbit about the RK12963 is that the original unit and filter was rated at 90GPH. When the filter was obsoleted and the conversion kit was created the filter that was used (S3230P) was rated at just 60GPH. The tech support individual I spoke with thought that could be marginal flow for engines in the 450-500HP range during peak power demands. I personally have not recognized any performance issue but it is good information to know if you suspect a fuel contamination issue. A filter change may be required sooner rather than later given the flow capacity.

later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
A little follow up....I changed all of my fuel filters today and installed the 300200 new filter screen in the plastic housing. There are a total of 4 Orings involved if you want to renew what was installed to seal the plastic housing ends. The two that come with the new housing are .609 ID by .139CS and are a Part Number 208 (AS568B Aero Space Standard Sizing). These are the larger CS (cross section) O-rings and reside in a recess at the end of the metal castings that face the plastic screen filter housing. About 1/2 inch inside the housing at the top and bottom is a recess in the casting where the .612ID by .103CS Part Number 114 resides.

The only problem I had was with a full tank of fuel I was getting siphoning and the fuel flow would not stop. In the end I had to tightening the old housing back up and move the RV to park nose down in order to stop the fuel flow. My driveway has about a 16 inch rise from front to rear wheels parked and that did the trick. I called Gerald about my fuel flow issue and he had put new O rings in his when he had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and did not have the problem. (Gerald thanks for the insight as always) I still think carrying a set of these 4 Orings is a good idea just in case you begin to see fuel seepage from the housing...Hope this helps.

Later Ed

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:10:13 AM by 910 »