Author Topic: Toad Brake System Mod  (Read 1843 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Toad Brake System Mod
« on: March 19, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
Finally found time to repair my toad braking system. In 2006 and 09  I installed “Toad Stop” units on my 2 jeeps. System uses a cable to pull in the toad brake pedal when activated. Under-hood it uses a servo, vacuum pump and reservoir. Activation of the unit occurs when 2 conditions are met; the coach service brakes are applied and the toad is pushing against the coach. This latter is sensed by a micro switch on the receiver hitch. The system worked flawlessly on both my 00 Marquis and 01 Contessa. On the 07 Contessa I found that the system activated when we descended long grades in the mountains using the exhaust brake but not the service brake. Not good on the toad brakes! Found that this was caused because the 07 brake system activates all brake lights when the exhaust brake engages. This was not the case on the earlier coaches.
After discussing this with Gerald, he suggested moving the trigger signal to the brake switch output. (Much simpler than my original relay/switch plan)! Found the brake pedal output and the last spare wire running to the coach rear and made the mod. Testing on flat highways shows it works.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols