Author Topic: Alpine radio replacement  (Read 5171 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Alpine radio replacement
« on: April 18, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
   Greetings,
 This is in response to conversations recently about coaches that are more than 20 years old and trying to decide what to do to upgrade the dash radio and or the Bose System.
  My Alpine dash radio and GPS system with built in back up monitor worked fine up until a leak in my front marker light dripped water directly into it. I decided to replace it with a Kenwood DDX 375 BT because it had the features I liked and could afford. Hardest part was getting the original side screws out of the mount of the Alpine radio. I included some pictures to show it can be done. Blessings and stay safe!
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, LaMonte Monnell, Paul Meehan, Carl Boger

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
Re: Alpine radio replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:06:59 PM »
The CD changer in my 2002 Marquis had a 6 CD cart stuck inside.  I tried several methods to remove the cart (none of which I would recommend) without success.  Finally I removed the entire CD changer from the roll up door console, took it apart so I could see the innards, moved every motor I could find to see what was jammed.  No matter what I did I could not extract the cart. 

So I took it back out to the coach and plugged it in and it started cycling through all 6 CDs trying to find a readable CD.  Once it finished the cycle, I pushed the eject button and the cart ejected.  I loaded it up with CDRs fresh from my computer and it worked flawlessly.

I don't know if just disconnecting it from the cable in the coach which removed power from the unit or my moving all the motors freeing up a stuck mechanism that fixed the changer but I am glad it works now.

I wonder if it reads MP3 CDs?
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
   Hi David,
  I have had that experience by pushing the eject with no 120 volt power and then realizing what I did. Don't know about mp3 or homemade cd's. If I am traveling on rough roads, the cd's are sketchy and I change over to Spotify. Happy trails when we get going again, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Jones

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:32:04 AM »
Fred.
Were you able to use the original connection for the backup camera.

Thanks

Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
  Mike, There is a connection on the back to plug the yellow RCA camera input from the camera into. The back up camera comes on when you push the "camera" button on the face. See the attached picture. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 07:29:25 PM »
Thanks Fred

Casey Humphries

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 02:41:51 AM »
Good day Fred. 

I am just in the process of removing the old Alpine system from my coach.  The unit has never worked since I inherited it.  Wow amazing how many pieces of equipment are involved. Two in dash controllers, DVD player for Navigation, CD changer, two units for the Sat and the AI net amp behind the front door panel.  I have been looking at a Kenwood as it has the ability of connecting 4 cameras.  Might wire in one on each side mirror and one at the front facing down. 

Curious…
How did you get the main Alpine unit out of the dash? (The one with the screen). I can remove the right hand screw but I can’t see how to remove the left side screw to remove the unit.   There isn’t enough space to fit my hand in. 
Did you keep the satellite Alpine controller (Sat control/ CD changer)? 
There are three switches on the left hand console under the drivers window.  Camera On, Camera engage and Cam Wash.  Does anything need to happen to these switches?   I have the coax cable that I removed from the Alpine AI net labeled as well as the FM.

There was one green wire that went from the Alpine AI Net to the Bose amp.  Since I was never able to use the original system I don’t know what speakers it played on and how it connected that way. 

Thanks

Casey

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 03:05:04 PM »
    Casey,
  I used a 1/4" flat ratchet wrench with a 1/4" phillips tip installed. From the top dash access, you can reach around the mount to get to the left hand screws. If your hand is too large, you may have to remove the left dash face panel. It is secured with treaded studs (10/32) at each corner.
   The Bose Lifestyle has to be on, the amplifier has to be on (the switch overhead next to your video selector box) then choose on the Bose remote which input plays your dash radio. (aux 1 or aux 2). If none of that system is still operational, you may have to install additional speakers to your replacement radio. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Casey Humphries

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 04:03:13 AM »
Sounds good.  I will try that.   

I’ve been going through everything on the coach I inherited from my Dad.   It’s so well built. 

My next venture is the old CRT tv holes and how to get a larger flat TV installed that looks factory, then a blind controllers. 

Cheers,

Casey

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 03:09:23 PM »
   Casey,
Here are some pics of how I reworked the cabinetry and removed the original CRT television and installed a 40" flat screen. I re-used the 2 cabinet doors from the middle section. My Bose Lifestyle still works so I reinstalled the center speakers above the TV. Enjoy your new adventure, it is a great coach. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV